iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a Difference More Horsepower Makes !!!

Started by DR_Buck, July 14, 2017, 08:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Today I went to PA Wood Mizer to pick up my mill.  It's been there since mid June when I took it up after breaking a crankshaft.   

( That sad story is here : https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,96578.msg1490435.html#msg1490435 )

After weighing the cost of repairs against other options I decided a new engine was the way to go.  I also splurged for more HP.   The mill came with the Kohler 25 HP and because the engine design had changed some replacement cost was close enough to the cost of moving up to the Kohler 35 HP so that is what I decided to do.     I had Wood Mizer do the work because right now I have no extra time to fool with it.    Marty Parsons at PA Wood Mizer did the work and it turned out great.   First thing I learned was the engine that came in was the new EFI 38 HP Kohler.   8)   He also found several other problems that needed attention and took care of them as well.

Late this afternoon when I got home from PA I set up the mill to try it out by cutting a dozen rafters for one of my equipment sheds.  WOW   8)   What a difference.   The blade moves so much faster and I was able to push through the log like I never did with 25 HP.   It was almost scary.   I'm pretty sure I'm really going to like having 13 more horses spinning the blade.

Here are a few pictures of the new engine on the 2003 LT40HDG25, Now an LT40HDG38.  ;D

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Peter Drouin

Good, 8) 8) Did it come with a new crank support?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

SineWave

Good deal, have fun with her.

I'm with Peter, did it come with a crank support bearing? Would love to see a pic of it, if so...thinking about designing one into my home brew mill...

MartyParsons

Hello,
  WM does not use crank support bearings on the gas engines. Not sure it is needed.
Marty

There are some things to think about when going with a larger engine that may give you issues in the future.

The 38 hp has a wire for a oil pressure light. We did not install a light on this project. You could purchase a new operator front cover and it would have a place for the light. If you are changing to from a diesel to gas. The light would be already there.

Up down circuit breaker on this mill was 30 amp, it tripped the first time we did a test cut. We did raise the amps of the breaker to 40. WM recommends installing a 1 hp motor to lower the amps with the added weight.

The other thing we needed to install was a 3/5 v belt from the 2 BX belt. There was some added cost to the retro from changing the pulley from 2 to 3 grove.

The engine kit comes with a new pin, engine mounting plate and the covers for the belt.

Thanks
Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ladylake

WM does not use crank support bearings on the gas engines. Not sure it is needed.

I'd think most industrial motors are designed for a heavy side load a its very rare the hear of a Kohler crank breaking, every manufacturer can get a bad one once in a while. In the case of Cat motors they got a bunch of bad ones or maybe cheapened them up as too many company's are doing which most times costs them more in warranty work and reputation .  These Cat cranks are breaking in skid loaders with no side load so time will tell if the bearing support helps.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jmouton

what i want to know ,  who is the moron who designed an oil filter upside down ,,,i hate that ,,,just sayin
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

GAB

Quote from: jmouton on July 17, 2017, 07:24:22 PM
what i want to know ,  who is the moron who designed an oil filter upside down ,,,i hate that ,,,just sayin

Someone very green and sopping wet behind the ears newly minted engineer.
I made a good living correcting their lack of experience designs.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

First off, I don't know!   ;)   ;D

I had a lawnmower that had an upside down oil filter and one of the guys in the mower shop let me in on their SECRET!

When you get ready to change the oil, get the engine up to operating temperature, get your catch-pan ready and loosen the drain plug, then take a hammer and nail and punch a hole in the highest point on the filter, then remove the drain plug!  Before unscrewing the oil filter, put a piece of tape over the hole that you made in the filter!

Doing it this way, minimizes any oil spill!   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

DR_Buck

I'm betting that oil filter drains into the crank case when the engine is off.     I gusee I'll find out for sure at the 1st oil change.  :-)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SlowJoeCrow

Very good trick!!!  Even if it does drain out into the crankcase when the engine is off, a proper oil change is done when the oil is at operating temperature.  So if you do that, there will be oil in there.

Thank You Sponsors!