The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Complete noob hoping to plan first project  (Read 512 times)

Offline Tsmall07

• I'm new!
Complete noob hoping to plan first project
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:22:58 pm »
Hello, 

My name is Tyler and I live in northern Virginia.  I've just joined the site because I've always wanted to start timber framing, but I really have no opportunity to learn from anyone living in the DC metro area.  I've got "A Timber Framer's Workshop" and have begun reading that.  It is a lot of information to take in all at once.  For my first project, I would like to build a front porch for our house.  The house is a single level rambler.  The roof pitch appears to be 4:12.  I haven't measured it yet, but it's pretty shallow.  I think any front porch element will need to match the pitch of the original house.  Most of the timber frame designs I've seen for king-post trusses are 90 at the peak.  Is it possible to have a 4:12 slope with a king post truss?  Second question is what is the best way to learn to design a truss or is there any resources out there where I can pay for a quick truss design to get me started? 

I appreciate any help given.  I'm confident I can complete a project like this, I just need a little push to help get me started. 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
Re: Complete noob hoping to plan first project
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:32:30 pm »
Hey Tyler, welcome to the forum.
One of my old clients is cooking so I'm out the door in a sec  8)
 You're stepping right into the deep end of the pool, a feeling I'm quite familiar with  :D There are some good truss articles over on the TFG site, I'll try to find if no one else chimes in.
This is a fun little program that lets you draw some trusses quickly to get a sense of the forces involved. Notice what happens especially to the heeljoint node as you lower the pitch
https://engineering.jhu.edu/ei/bridge-designer/

Offline Tsmall07

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
The site doesn't seem to be working right now.  I'll check back later.

Offline Tsmall07

• I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 11:01:39 pm »
BTW, I have a degree in building construction and I took statics.  I understand (I think) what happens to a truss as the pitch is lowered, I just don't know if that can be dealt with using timber framing. 

And yes, I tend to jump right into the deep end in order to learn how to swim.  All or nothing! 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:05:57 am »
Ah, so you are not a noob at this. It looks like the JHU truss program doesn't run in chrome, that may be the issue. It is simple but a fast way to do some what ifs. There is a tutorial here.

Google "the method of joints" for the statics behind truss analysis. There were several tutorials on you tube covering that as well when I looked for the tutorial on the bridge designer.

I did a quick google looking for the TFG/ National Parks series on historic trusses and hit this link;
https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/blog/timber-framing-no-73-september-2004-2004-13/

Keep us in the loop, I'm just a carpenter and learn as I dogpaddle myself  :)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:20 pm »
I remembered I had written this a few years ago and stored it. It might help while playing around with this.
http://timbertoolbox.com/Calcs/trusswbending.htm

Off to road test the new lifter and pushrod in the Ranger... hopefully knock on wood and not a knock in da head  :D

Offline classicadirondack

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »
you might want to contact jim rogers on this site about a design

Offline Tsmall07

• I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 09:02:50 pm »
Ah, so you are not a noob at this. 

Not a noob at the theory or construction in general, but a noob to timber framing, for sure. :)

It looks like the JHU truss program doesn't run in chrome, that may be the issue. It is simple but a fast way to do some what ifs. There is a tutorial here.

I tried it in IE as well.  It keeps saying the java script is blocked because I have an old version.  I tried updating but still no workie... Shame because it seems like a neat tool.