iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new sawmill incoming, what to saw first (poll)

Started by runmca, July 14, 2017, 08:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmca

Hi Everyone,
My Junior Peterson mill is on it's way from Left Coast and should arrive within a week or so. I've only sawed a few logs with my Alaskan mini mill so not much experience at all (none with a swingblade). I thought I would have the FF decide what to mill first. So here's what I have so far, all around 8' in length. I have no idea if this wood will be usable but it will be fun trying. So please make a vote, and any comments or suggestions would be appreciated too. I'll post pics of the 'winners' results, unless they are too embarrassing :laugh:
Cheers!

JRWoodchuck

I would use the log you care about the least and go from there! Good luck.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

MbfVA

Start with the one that's least valuable, make your mistakes there.

Add:  looks like consensus to me
www.ordinary.com (really)

DR_Buck

Find one full of nails and get that experience out of the way right up front.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

MbfVA

And I believe he works for a retipping service  smiley_sun
www.ordinary.com (really)

runmca

The pin oak was a roadside and has a stain so that would be a good nail candidate. The elm is a roadside too.

MbfVA - I see you have the JP's big brother, I've been following your other threads. I hope all is going well.

DanMc

I voted for the locust only because it's one of the smaller logs.  Start small and work your way up.  But what do I know, I have only gone through about 10 logs so far myself.   I started out with the smallest.   The big ones are heavy, so they have more opportunity to hurt you if they do something unexpected.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

SineWave

Doesn't really matter so long as it's not the log clamp!  :D

Sawmill Man

The straightest one you have and make stacking sticks out of it .
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

woodweasel

Saw them all, makes no difference which one you start on. Get er done 8) 8)

terrifictimbersllc

I said the 17" oak.  give yourself some width to dial in your mill adjustment settings.  I was going to tell you to go get a 28" dried out Christmas tree spruce log but then I backed off, that's bandsaw humor.  Good luck with it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

I voted for the black locust because of the end use, usually you shove locust into the ground after you saw it or use it for deck boards or whatever industrial application so it don't quite matter it its a little messed up
Boy, back in my day..

Darrel

I voted for the sassafras on account of because it's the one I'd most like to see and smell. No such tree in these parts. No oak, pin or otherwise here either.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

runmca

Thanks for the comments/suggestions everyone.

If the wood is usable, here are my initial thoughts

elm - workbench tabletop
locust - raised garden bed
sassafras - outdoor chair/table
oak - ?

Darrel - we have a bunch of sassafras around us, we use the saplings to make root beer. Still working on the recipe but pretty good stuff  smiley_beertoast

fishfighter

Bought my mill a couple years ago. I used a couple boards that came off my mill this weekend that were some of the first boards I sawed. ;D

Ox

Black locust - you need something to put down on the ground to stack your other lumber on.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

runmca

Finally got the mill up and running 8) The rails were lost in transit so I had to wait for another set to arrive.

So I worked the the black locust (the winner). It had some rot, not the greatest log but worked out because I had to make some minor adjustments to the blade. I had a few other locust logs that were a bit smaller and they were not so great either, but fun to learn with. I got about 50bf. Tomorrow I will practice sharpening the blade and maybe start on the sassafras. I had a good time and can't wait to practice some more. Oh yeah, and here are some pics  :)

Ianab

:D  Picked one of the hardest woods to learn on. But the little mill handles it fine.  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bob_T

Good looking mill and lumber.  Looks like your dog is happy with your new mill too.
1959 FWD Model 286 Dump Truck
1955 Allis Chalmers HD-6G Crawler Loader
1941 GMC CCKW 6X6
Wood-Mizer LT30 G18

Thank You Sponsors!