iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stilh 029 Super

Started by bdsmith, July 14, 2017, 06:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdsmith

I'm new to chainsaws and have inherited a Stihl 029 Super that seems to work pretty good.  I've run about 5 tanks of gas through it and sharpened the chain about 4 times.  Now something strange has come up.  I am unable to tension the chain properly.  The adjuster is full against the stop and there is about 3/4" between the bar and the links.  I figured I need a new chain so I looked it over to see what size to buy.
The chain has "25" on the links which I interpret as 0.325 pitch and 0.050 gauge.  The bar is stamped with "Oregon 183SLGD025" which is a 0.325 pitch and 0.063 gauge. 

Q1: Did I stretch the chain while I was using it?  Is that a wear mode?
Q2: Have I been using a dangerous tool and been super lucky? 
Q3: Did I ruin the bar and should I replace it? (How would I know the bar is worn out?)

Texas-Jim

Chains actually wear far more than they stretch. Every link wears as you use the saw over time. You can take a link out but i hate doing that. I prefer buy a chain once its wore to that degree. Also check drive sprocket to see if its wore badly. But this circumstance is common to all saws at some point.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

joe_indi

18" Bar for 74 drive links of 0.325 chain.
Lay the chain on a flat surface with drive links facing each other for an accurate count.
If you have an extra drive link or two you can take them out to shorten the chain.
If it has 74 drive links,taking out acutter and drive link might shorten the chain, but..............it would be safer to buy a new chain

thechknhwk

Seems odd that the chain is suddenly 3/4" too long.  Are you sure you have it seated on the drive sprocket properly?  (I may have done that before)

PNWRusty

Quote from: thechknhwk on July 16, 2017, 02:40:31 AM
Seems odd that the chain is suddenly 3/4" too long.  Are you sure you have it seated on the drive sprocket properly?  (I may have done that before)

There is a big difference between 3/4" sag and 3/4" too long!

One point I would like to add, different bars have different adjustment ranges and different powerheads create situations where the adjustment range falls at an awkward place (meaning the setup doesn't have on obvious number of drive links that is native to that combo). Or, said another way, when buying a new chain, there are two different chain link numbers one could reasonably choose but it's a trade-off either way.

bdsmith

+thechknhwk: I sharpened it twice and there was minimal sag with no adjustment needed..  The third or fourth time I sharpened it, it needed adjusting.  This last time, it was sagging badly but the adjustment was against the stop.  It is not a new chain but I was surprised that it changed so quickly.  In that time, I cut 1 live oak down, about 18" dia.   Everything else has been under 8", hardwoods, some dead, some live.  Per the manual, I sharpen it once per gas tank.

Also, the previous owner installed a 0.058 gauge chain on a 0.063 bar.  Will that damage the bar?

Thank You Sponsors!