iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, it's here! :-)

Started by 50 Acre Jim, July 14, 2017, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 Acre Jim

Delivery of my Norton Norwood HD36 was supposed to be Wednesday but was delayed until today (Friday).  I bought a rental house and have to work on it starting Monday so I have Saturday and Sunday to get it together.  They say you can assemble them in 2 days but I've never put anything together in the allotted time.  Mom said I was a little slow, guess that's what she meant...

Delivery was a little rocky and could have gone real bad but for a little luck.  There were 2 pallets, one loaded small and one BIG!  The small one (pic #2) came off the truck and into the trailer like clockwork.  The large one (pic #'s 3-4) had a mind of its own and literately fell forward, off the lift and into the trailer, leaving everyone scrambling for safety as 1,500 lbs of steal came crashing down! 

But as i said, it's here now and everyone is OK.  Tomorrow I'll start pulling the box's out of the trailer, inventorying and hopefully start the assembly.   And now, it's brewsky time!  :-) 

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

Grizzly

Yeah!!  8)  And then the sawdust will fly and then you'll be as sick as most guys on here. I believe some call it addiction. There's just nothing quite like the smell of coffee and sawdust on a nice cool morning.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

drobertson

Happy for you!  keep us posted!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Skip

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Skip on July 15, 2017, 07:43:33 AM
Do you mean Norwood ?
Ha, yes indeed.  And thank you for that Skip.  (*^#$&$ auto correct!) 

50 Acre Jim

Assembly is going well so far and the instructions are pretty straight forward.  But as I stand out here in the 90* heat I have to ask myself if 65 isn't a little late in the game to decide to get into milling...   ;)

btulloh

NO.  No it's not too late.  Definitely not too late.

I do recommend a short day in the this heat though.  I threw in the towel at 1:15 today.  Your mileage may vary.
HM126

Grizzly

Quote from: 50 Acre Jim on July 15, 2017, 02:07:03 PM
But as I stand out here in the 90* heat

There's lots of people that don't think clearly in that situation!  :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

50 Acre Jim

Got a decent run at it today.  Some showers but worked in between them.  Hope to finish tomorrow but that may be a little optimistic.  Tuesday for sure though. 

50 Acre Jim

Didn't get as much done as I wanted but (insert excuse here)... Anyhow, got the trailer hitch assembly on, rails, axles and wheels, wired for lights, log dogs and log stops on, and a whole bunch of other stuff that is being built in the barn but wasn't ready to put on just yet. 

It'll be ready tomorrow for sure!

samandothers

You are making great progress!  Look on the bright side with temps, better in your area than the low country!

Look forward to your next update on progress.

50 Acre Jim

Looks like I'm gonna make a career out of building this thing.  One more day down and another day to go... 

50 Acre Jim

Spent the other night explaining to my wife how it makes sense to spend $13K so we don't have to buy lumber at Lowe's anymore.   :D

btulloh

I am shocked that even required and explanation!  ;)
HM126

samandothers

Now the trick is to follow through!

WDH

That is your story and you are sticking to it  :D :D :D :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BewKY_BpVXg
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Congratulations, looks like a well made mill. One thing that I found out after getting a miĺl is always empty the sawdust from your pants pockets before putting them in the laundry. Women just don't like specks of sawdust on their clean laundry.  ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

50 Acre Jim

WDH - Haven't hear that in a long time, good stuff!  :-)

So, if anyone would have told me I would still be working on this assembly 5 days later I would have said "No Way".  But yes, here I am, day 5 and still have not finished.  But in my defense, it rained a LOT the first couple of days and I probably did more reading of the manual than I did actual assembly. 

Anyhow, I WILL be finished tomorrow.  Just a couple of hours of simple stuff and I'll be done.   A neighbor who heard about the mill called and has 3 Cherry trees for me to pick up and another neighbor has a Hickory so first job tomorrow is to go get those.  Then Rex has a vet appointment at 10:30, I have lunch with some friends at 11:30 and hopefully back here by 1:30?    Might not get to saw anything tomorrow but at least it will be ready for a Friday morning debut.

btulloh

Looking good. As far as we know, you're right on schedule.

Keep in mind these two things:

1. Everything takes longer than it should

B. If you don't publish a schedule nobody will know whether you're ahead of or behind schedule.
HM126

50 Acre Jim

Sawmill is finally finished! It was a big job but it's behind me now and it actually works!

Several years ago I had some hemlock trees milled into 6X8 beams. Unfortunately I didn't store them correctly and most of them warped. So to test out the new mill I tossed one of the warped beams onto the mill and cut the warp out. 

I went a lot slower than I probably needed to but hey, I've never even used a sawmill before and don't know how fast or slow you're supposed to go.

But here it is, my sawmill's very first cut!

https://youtu.be/_eY-TZLQ81w

Thank You Sponsors!