iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back to the Basics....file guide

Started by otto81494, July 14, 2017, 04:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otto81494

I have a MS290 and a couple 170s with assorted bars. They use .325, 3/8th, 1/4 and 3/8th picco chains. I have all the correct round files per Stihl specs for each however my sharpening skills need some fine tuning so Im going back to file guides for now.

In shopping for file guides, I noticed they will have either .404, .325, ΒΌ, or 3/8th stamped on them. My question is, do I need a file guide specific to my pitch (the stamped number) or can I just use  different sized round files interchangeably with the same file guide? IE. If the file guide that I buy says ".325" can I still use a round file for my 3/8th picco chains on that guide?

Dumb question Im sure but a search of the entire Googlenet didn't answer my question.

Grizzly

The file size is for the tooth and has no relation to link length. The file guides I have seen are link length specific due to having a slot to sit on the raker for filing. I'm no expert and you'll get better responses but that is what I can offer. I freehand cause it works and I've been able to train myself but have thought often of a guide to train my youngsters.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Ianab

The file guide would be different for each size file, because it has to hold the file at the correct position in relation to the top of the cutter. That's going to be a slightly different position depending on the size of the file.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Grizzly

Forgot that part. Absolutely correct. Thanks for correcting.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

otto81494

So it looks like I have to buy a guide for each chain size.Thanks for the info.

CTYank

An alternative, that's worked for me for 40 yrs, is Granberg "File-N-Joint". Clamps onto bar, and lets you file any pitch chain- just use file size to suit of course. You adjust angles and file height. Enables really precise work, and becomes second-nature. With flat file, lets you set depth gauge ht pretty quickly; some chattering filing them from outside-in.
I've demoed these to folks, who then got their own, and enjoyed the results.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

ButchC

Actually those style guides are not chain size specific but indeed file size specific. The ones that are marked with a chain pitch are assuming a given file size for that pitch. The only ones thay interchange are the 7/32 and 13/64. Get the ones that have a thumb screw to hold the file (Stihl) as the clip over strap type (oregon) are junk.

As an aside,  I have watched people file and attempt to file chains for many years and by far the biggest mistake people make is having the saw rocking around. A person CANNOT properly file a chain when the saw is moving around. Second thing is worn out or clogged files. Files are consumable goods. Some chains (Stihl) are harder on files than others but you wont get more than 2 chains out of one file sometimes one. Files are also messed quickly up by people who operate them like a hand saw cutting off a 2x4. You should lift the file off the chain on the return stroke.  Also be aware that fully 2/3 of the videos available on this subject on Youtube were done by people who do not know what they are doing,,,
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

coxy

like the last part  :D :D        my dad always put a hook in the chain for soft wood and when cutting basswood  ???

HolmenTree

Not on topic here but I started using Husqvarna Intensive Cut files recently for the first time.
I was sharpening the 23RS chain on my MS261C  when I went to tap the end of the file on the vise to shake off the filings on the files teeth.
The end of the file broke  off, never had this happen before with other brands.

Has this happened to any one else using these Husqvarna files?
Don't bother with the "using a Husqvarna file on a Stihl" jokes :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

coxy

yes I have had them brake just hitting the muffler and they wasn't husky files  :) and they where 7/32

khntr85

I just had an Oregon file break... strange

Thank You Sponsors!