iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well, that was fun

Started by ButchC, July 14, 2017, 09:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

Fellow brought a fairly new Echo saw to the shop,, "I was sawing along and it missed a bit then died and it wont start".  After he left (never work on a saw while owner watches)  I pulled it over and compression seemed OK, Pulled the plug and has spark, Hmm maybe I oghta try to start it, best check the fuel and oil and problem found. It has bar oil in the fuel tank and fuel mix in the bar oil tank, LOL. Flushed the tank and fuel lines but removing the carb  requires a good bit of disassembly. We will just squirt of fuel on the air cleaner to keep it running until it clears itself out,, wrong answer Fran! I ran it for 10 minutes and it never did get fuel although it drew it up the fuel line just fine. Dang, 20 minute job turned into 3 hours. Oh well. The guy shows up and I ask how long have you owned that saw? "since new, what was wrong with it?"  Told him, and he says  "NO WAY!" what was really wrong with it? "  It had bar oil in the fuel tank!  "dang kids been fooling with my saw again,,,"   Ya right ;D
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

sawguy21

:D It's always either the kid or the brother in law. It is easy to do on the top handle Echos, we saw it a few times, and as you found although a very good saw they are not easy to work on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CJBrown

Hello, my name is Chris from Belleville, Ontario. I saw this post so I thought this would be as good a place as any to type my first post. This post reminded me how I got my first saw. My father burned wood for about 15 years and always cut his own wood. However, he was not mechanically inclined in any way/shape/form. When I was a teenager many times I would have to start the Pioneer Farmsaw that he had just flooded. This would exasperate him to no end, but we had wood to cut and only 1 saw. When I moved out at age 19, he would call me periodically to come over and start his Pioneer as he couldn't get it going. Other times, he would take it to the local saw shop and get it "tuned up", so he could start it.

The final straw, was one day he called me over and was quite worked up about his brand new chain that wouldn't cut hot butter. I looked down at the saw and he had the chain on backwards - oops! When I pointed that out, he picked up the saw and handed it to me, and never burned wood again!

And that is how I obtained my first chainsaw! I now have 3 of those Farmsaws (along with quite a few other makes/models).

sawguy21

:D He sounds like my dad who was an excellent woodworker but hated things mechanical.

Stoneyacrefarm

Have to admit.
I have put bar oil in the gas tank and gas in the oil tank.
Luckily I figured out before I started it.
Usually someone is talking to you and you're not paying attention.  :D
No harm no foul.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

samandothers

Kbeitz

Try putting diesel in the fuel tank. Did you know that a chain saw will run on diesel....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Stoneyacrefarm

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 20, 2017, 04:22:06 AM
Try putting diesel in the fuel tank. Did you know that a chain saw will run on diesel....
Kbeitz.
I haven't tried that one yet.
Lol.
Don't plan on it either.
:D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

sawguy21

It won't run well but the carbon will be cleaned out. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!