iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 3325 control valve problems

Started by strunk57, July 17, 2017, 09:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strunk57

Hello all. I recently started having problems with my winch. First everything was working fine then slowly the winch started getting weaker as it was winching. sounded like the clutches were rubbing, the winch would release fine. I started with pulling the dry side to see if anything was wet and it was not. then I checked to see if the screen was plugged, it was clean as could be. I soaked the clutches in colman lantern fuel over night which cleaned them up real nice. still having trouble, so I pulled the valve and cleaned it out with air nothing looked scarred or scratched so I put it back on and now the winch wont engage at all, still releases fine but will not even start to winch in. I tested the pressure and not getting anything. I wonder if I may have put the brass sleeves back the wrong way. each have 1-3 spring washers on them, does it matter which hole each one goes?

it is a 3325 winch mounted on a 450c track loader.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

teakwood

Those valves are a PITA.  i have a 3305, not sure if its the same. two brass seats have 2 spring washer each and 2 have one, its absolutely crucial which one goes were, or the winch will not work.

Here is a post i wroth about those valves

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92925.msg1431367.html#msg1431367
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Quote from: strunk57 on July 17, 2017, 09:42:59 PM
Hello all. I recently started having problems with my winch. First everything was working fine then slowly the winch started getting weaker as it was winching. sounded like the clutches were rubbing, the winch would release fine. I started with pulling the dry side to see if anything was wet and it was not. then I checked to see if the screen was plugged, it was clean as could be. I soaked the clutches in colman lantern fuel over night which cleaned them up real nice. still having trouble, so I pulled the valve and cleaned it out with air nothing looked scarred or scratched so I put it back on and now the winch wont engage at all, still releases fine but will not even start to winch in. I tested the pressure and not getting anything. I wonder if I may have put the brass sleeves back the wrong way. each have 1-3 spring washers on them, does it matter which hole each one goes?

it is a 3325 winch mounted on a 450c track loader.

the clutches rub because the valve doesn't put enough pressure on the push plate to engage the clutch. i am almost 100% sure your problem is in the valve, just do the instructions on my old post.  the brass seats almost need nothing taken off of them. just put a little bit pressure on them against the sanding paper until they shine

strunk57

Awesome. Thanks! the picture shown in the post is the way the spring washers go I assume? I was testing 175 pounds of pressure before I took the valve off. which part off the brass did you use the 400 grit on? the top or sides?
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

strunk57

Also, how did you determine your problem was in the valve and not the pump?

coxy

all the trouble I had with jd winch pumps was they would not release always winched in fine but had to have around 18-2000rpms to get it to release

teakwood

it's the top part of the brass piece, where they face the rotor. don't touch the sides. of course i put new o ring and seals on the whole valve to be sure.
The springs has to go as in my picture, i also put new spring washers as i thought that they maybe have weakened over the years.

you can not determine if its the pump or the valve, its a guessing. but as you winch release normal i assume that the pump is ok. never the less i did both things to be sure. the pump has a brass google like wear plate that is still available and just costs like 20$.

strunk57

I switched the springs, and shined the brass. Now with a gauge it will jump to 800 pounds and right back down to 400 and stay there. Could the issue be in the pump? Or the valve for sure.

teakwood

??? ???man, i dont know. did you shine the brass on a piece of glass, it has to be absolutely flat. i you sand a slight curve on them they wont work. 800 is not bad, book says 1000, but the pressure should stay there, not drop.
Are the springs still strong?
Did you disarmed the pump? was the brass google type wearplate scratched??

to be sure you have to test the pump outside the winch. i didn't had the possibility to do that anywhere. Maybe some hydraulic shop can test it for you??

strunk57

I did not shine it on glass. ill try that. its definatly in the valve though. I took one off my friends winch and pulled strong at 1000. another friend had a spare. ill try it tomorrow, if it doesn't work ill prob buy a reman. I'm just glad to pin point the problem.

teakwood

put the 400grit sandpaper on a glass, wet it good with water and gently rub the brass face in a 8 figure!! over the sandpaper. don't make circles! a circle could waste it uneven.

the brass valves are still available if you want to put new ones on it

Thank You Sponsors!