iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cook's All Metal Band Wheels

Started by FloridaMike, July 11, 2017, 08:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

Search didn't find much info, so: How well do Cook's all metal band wheels work?  I'm looking at running 25" wheels with 1-1/2" bands and 1-1/2" shafts on my homemade 20.8 hp Honda powered band mill.

Thanks in advance for any firsthand feedback that is available!
Mike

kelLOGg

I have their 19" all metal and I have no problem with them. Cook is big on true and balanced wheels and they certainly are. Re-crowning is eventually necessary and I recently had mine re-crowned (after 12 years) and upon re-installing I measured the runout at <0.001 inches. A common opinion on the FF is that steel wheels cause blade curvature requiring rolling to make them flat again. Cooks disagrees saying that any wheel around which a band is turning will cause band curvature :P. With steel there is never a need to replace a belt, only occasional re-crowning.
Bob 
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Grizzly

I run a Logmaster which uses 30" steel wheels and other than that crown needing to be trued periodically it runs true and strong. Cooks have a good reputation so I wouldn't be afraid of their product at all. I've never experienced slippage but I've heard that too much lube will cause it. Maybe the same for belted wheels? I don't know.

From all that I've read on the forum band maintenance is required of all makes and manufactures, so I'm not sure how much I'd take that into consideration. I've had to correct flatness on brand new blades I took out of the box.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

longtime lurker

Never see a big band that ran on anything except steel wheels. If it's right for the big gear, you'd think it's the material of choice for the little stuff as well.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

petefrom bearswamp

Are the big band wheels crowned?
Every mill mfr has their pet style of wheels and or belts  and blades
IMO whatever works for you is good.
after trying several different styles of belts but not steel wheels I stick with orange.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

drobertson

yea, there's no reason you should feel hesitant.  It's an industry standard on many, many band saws, production wise.  Not much else to say,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

FloridaMike

Thanks for the info... I have ordered a set!
Mike

longtime lurker

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Pabene

My saw mill has 24" dia. steel wheel. It is real good steel not cast iron. I have had the saw sins 2005, it is not used every day but I have made a lot of boards. The wheel has crown. The "top" of the crown was in fact a flat (cylindric) surface, 1/4" wide. After the 12 years I can see that the contact part of the crown top has a little wear, its now about 9/32" wide. The function is still very good. I have lubricated the blade with some drips of thin oil, maybe every hour, from the beginning that was made to keep the blade free from resin and rust. I can hear from the noise when I think the blade needs a little oil. (I have plans to add a "oiler" with felt wick but its not performed yet). If i would use thicker oil, the blade will "float" on the oil film and "jump off", I know that the hard way.

JB Griffin

The Baker at work has 36in steel wheels. Have to have the wheels crowned every 6mo. or so but thats around 6-700mbf.:)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

boscojmb

I'm a little bit late to the party, but have something to add.

Small sawmills use rubber tires and get away with it, The next step is big pulleys with belts, the biggest sawmills (and some others) use crowned steel wheels.

Steel wheels are a  huge improvement over belted pulleys, as far as production and lumber quality goes.

I have crowned steel wheels and love the speed that I can cut and the quality of my lumber.

Steel wheels are LOUD. I don't like the noise. I think this is why many manufacturers do not use crowned steel wheels.

If you are going for production, crowned steel wheels are the way to go. If you are building a small hobby mill, belted pulleys may be more enjoyable.

I hope this helps
John B.

Log-Master LM4

5quarter

Quote from: boscojmb on July 16, 2017, 09:11:03 PM

...Steel wheels are LOUD. I don't like the noise. I think this is why many manufacturers do not use crowned steel wheels.

If you are going for production, crowned steel wheels are the way to go. If you are building a small hobby mill, belted pulleys may be more enjoyable.

I hope this helps

If you're wearing ear protection, it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't turn the key on my mill without them.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Kbeitz

Ear protection ?
I can talk to someone when my mill is cutting.
It has a Honda gas engine. I'm sure glad I don't have
a lot of noise.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

No way I'll run any loud machine without ear protection, plus the ones with am  fm radio work real good. If I want to talk to someone I take them off.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!