iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any experience with Hemlock ?

Started by antioch01, July 10, 2017, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antioch01

I have a lot of hemlock on a property I have purchased,,,, would like to do something with it other than selling it for chip wood.
I have heard it is pretty good when the bark is removed. So I thought I might saw it into 6X6 or 8X8 posts. And some 2X6 for barn repair.
Just bought a used LT40HD and getting it back in shape,, but anxious to use it. Will the posts hold up very well in the ground ? If not I will buy PT and just saw planks for trusses and bracing. Also not sure about drying time after sawing. And if the boards will warp if not laid straight to dried first.
Green at this, but love equipment of all types. Lots to learn.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
1975 Mack RD686 Log Truck with 110 Prentice Loader,
Morooka MST600 Tracked dump truck used as skidder.
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

Bruno of NH

Hemlock is great for post and any framing members but put it up green .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, antioch01!

Hemlock will last only a few years in the ground, it is good for beams and 2X's for strapping and rafters/joists!

When we use Hemlock, we usually put it up "green", less chance of splitting!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Peter Drouin uses hemlock logs (bark and all) as posts for his outbuildings, not sure if he treats the bottom or anything
Boy, back in my day..

antioch01

Thanks for replies,,,, glad to hear about using them green. Will save a lot of time.
I have a 40' Low-Boy semi trailer that needs new planks as well, I wanted to use Oak but sounds like the Hemlock may hold up as well or better.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

WV Sawmiller

White oak is still going to be your preferred trailer decking as to strength and durability/weather resistance. Hemlock is cross grained as I understand so it is stronger than many other softwoods. Good luck with yours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Oak or ash for trailers. Hemlock for barn boards.
Hemlock is a great wood to work with but it's a soft wood.
It's not a good wood for ground contact.
Not so bad if you tar the bottom end.
Hemlock is what I cut the most of.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

antioch01

Lots of Hemlock in Murphy N.C. and the log buyers chip it and are not paying much, so I bought this LT40HD sawmill and figured the wood is worth more to me in framing members than it would bring in chips. Even if it only holds up half as long as the oak, it will be worth it to me. I plan to saw the planks extra thick to help with the strength.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

antioch01

What type of boards do you saw from your Hemlock ? Is it a good looking grain for large exposed timbers for post and beam construction ?
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

thecfarm

I built 2 out buildings with it. I put it up green,hot off the mill.  :D  When it dry,it can split. Can have shake in it,which gives it a bad name. It's an old timer wood to use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

It does tend to have shake more often than most other woods, separation along the line of the rings. You can sometimes begin bucking off pieces from the butt upward and get out of the shake. It is better for siding than white pine, carpenter bees don't like it. It makes nice timbers IMO. I use it dry but that is about my pace  :D

Chuck White

Quote from: antioch01 on July 11, 2017, 06:13:08 AM
What type of boards do you saw from your Hemlock ? Is it a good looking grain for large exposed timbers for post and beam construction ? 

Once Hemlock lumber/beams are in place, most any type of "clear-coat" will really bring out the grain!

Nice lookin' lumber!

Also, heavy!

Easy sawing on the bandmill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

antioch01

Not familiar with "shake" ?? Never mind, I googled it, got it now. Thanks. These trees are on the mountain, and from what I read the shake is more prevalent in wet areas.
From what I have seen on the trees already cut, and on the ground for a year or two,,, there does not look like very much if any shake, but they still have bark on.

I have 4 degree blades that came with the saw, sound OK for Hemlock ?
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

GAB

Quote from: antioch01 on July 11, 2017, 08:33:56 AM
Not familiar with "shake" ?? Never mind, I googled it, got it now. Thanks. These trees are on the mountain, and from what I read the shake is more prevalent in wet areas.
From what I have seen on the trees already cut, and on the ground for a year or two,,, there does not look like very much if any shake, but they still have bark on.

I have 4 degree blades that came with the saw, sound OK for Hemlock ?

If you look at the ends of hemlock logs you can sometimes see some separation between the growth rings. 
These logs would be best chipped as the best they will become is expensive firewood.
Personally I would use 9* blades.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

scully

Watch out for ring shake . If you have good Hemlock it is great for building . I have sawed miles of it ,some is better than others . Right now I need a tractor trailer load for my own barn . Welcome to the forum .
I bleed orange  .

Crossroads

Congratulations on the mill! 4* might not be the best blade for the wood you have, but it will cut it well. Not sure how many blades came with the mill, but if you have a bunch of 4* they do a nice job and have less tendency to try to go over hard knots.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

50 Acre Jim

Hello antioch01 and welcome to the forum.  I'm right down the road from you, a few miles from Standing Indian Campground off of Hwy 64.  Just bought a Norwood HD36 and part of the reason was to try and salvage some of the many Hemlock's on my property.  Such a travesty, all these beautiful trees dead and dieing.    Anyhow, we should try to get together sometime, I'd like to see your setup.
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

moodnacreek

The devil made hemlock, the lord made pine !  I can't believe people say use it green. On timbers ok but not siding boards. In the eighties I sided my house with hemlock dried on sticks but to close to the ground and it shrunk and split bad.

antioch01

Thanks for blade suggestions, only have 4 blades, and will buy some more with different angle to try.
Jim, we have property with dead and alive hemlocks also, bought a logging truck and had planned to sell the timber but prices are extremely low right now, then got the idea to buy this sawmill and use the lumber to repair the barn and possibly sell some that way. We will see. Going through the mill in Florida, have several medical appointments, then taking it to Murphy.
Look forward to getting together, can get contact info when we get up there.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

petefrom bearswamp

I saw a bunch and sell it mostly 4/4 for siding boards and battens
some like it green some dry.
shake is an issue tho.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

I only run 10° and that hemlock cuts fine. Maybe a 4 would be even better,but what I use comes out good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Quote from: moodnacreek on July 11, 2017, 12:53:26 PM
The devil made hemlock, the lord made pine !  I can't believe people say use it green. On timbers ok but not siding boards. In the eighties I sided my house with hemlock dried on sticks but to close to the ground and it shrunk and split bad.

:D :D   Never heard that one before.  All the hemlock around here is full of shake.  junk.  Over into VT a ways theres good hemlock I hear. 

Dave Shepard tells about an old timer he used to work with, Poine ain't a tree it's a weed lol

I enjoy sawing hemlock, love the smell.. I rarely saw it though.

Boy, back in my day..

barbender

I think we have about 10 hemlock trees in all of MN, so I have no experience with it. Antioch, I'm getting the sense that you do things a bit like me- buy a log truck, and a sawmill, to process a few trees you have. I shudder to think what my per board cost might be😂
Too many irons in the fire

antioch01

You are right Barbender,,,, I am a tool & die / job-shop machinist by trade, but really like equipment and tools. We bought the mountain property, needed roads, bought Dozer, excavator etc. Had to have a semi and low-boy to haul them to Murphy. Now starts the tree adventure.
No, not rich by any means, you can tell by the age of my equipment, never bought new, just enjoy finding and restoring a good piece of equipment. My pay-off is operating those pieces. Hell, I would pay someone to run a D-9 root raking, or one of those mega dump trucks.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HD,
Cat D3C LGP
Bobcat T200
Ford 675D Backhoe
Case 1080 Excavator
Snorkel 42A Manlift

Peter Drouin

I sell a lot of hemlock, green or dry it sells well.

Good stuff, You just have to know what you're looking at when looking for shake.
Where old school here , 2" and bigger hemlock, 1" W Pine.
Good stuff.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!