iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best bars/setup for Stihl 261c?

Started by ReggieT, July 10, 2017, 08:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Nabbed this little guy from a buyer right outside of town.
Runs like scalded dog...cranks on 2 pulls!!!:p
Sold my 026 a few weeks back...so I guess this will go with my 044 as my "2 Saw Outfit!"
Came with a well used bar and a good chain. 16" .325, .063.
After debating with myself and reviewing seemingly a zillion post on the most efficient setup for MS 261's.

Decided to stay with the same setup.
I've looked at a ton of 16" bars, but can't figure what would serve me best.
I cut about 3-4 cords of firewood a yr, do a ton of storm clean up, and a lot of trim work for my Pops.
Here is what I've narrowed it down to.
Tell me your thoughts?

Note from Admin:  Ebay ads not allowed.

joe_indi

You should also consider the Stihl 63PS chain on a 16 or even 18" bar. You will need to replace the current rim sprocket with a Picco rim.

ReggieT

Well got a little antsy and bought this one from Fleabay...thanks for the input guys.
6 nose rivets and a lot of good reviews from this site and others for 026/MS260 use was the clincher.
16" CARLTON TIMBER CHAMP CHAINSAW BAR for Stihl .325" .063" 67DL 163SLGD025
Item price $29.50 total shipped! 8)

PNWRusty

Quote from: ReggieT on July 10, 2017, 08:06:09 PM

Sold my 026 a few weeks back...so I guess this will go with my 044 as my "2 Saw Outfit!"

My 026 has been so strong and reliable for the last 20 years I could never sell it. It's like an old friend that I have the utmost respect for. I have a new 261 C-M and it is a better saw but it will be at least 10 years before it can replace the venerable 026!

gspren

For several years now when I head to the woods for firewood cutting I take the 044 & 261, good combo. My old 041 is kept for when someone needs to borrow a saw, that's what they get even if they are cutting 6" wood, the 261 or 044 stay with me.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ReggieT

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ButchC

Quote from: gspren on July 11, 2017, 07:08:54 PM
    My old 041 is kept for when someone needs to borrow a saw,

You are a much better man than me.
I have an old PM610 Mac for that duty. It wears a non sprocket nose bar, RM chain and I keep the carb set rich. It has a coil problem that causes hot start issues.  When somebody wants to borrow a saw I lead them to the saw shelf and walk right past my cleaned up Stihls and Huskys to the dirty old Mac. There is no fuel in it, the oil tank is empty and the chain is dull "because that is the way it got returned to me by the last guy who wanted to borrow a saw". I will give them and empty fuel can and tell them how to mix the fuel. Oh bar oil? I am sorry I just used the last jug and need to go to town sorry,, dont you even THINK about dumping your used motor oil in MY saw!" 

Nobody has ever asked to borrow a saw from me twice,, that I can remember ??? ???.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!