iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stump removal with a chainsaw, please dont laugh

Started by edwin dirnbeck, July 10, 2017, 08:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwin dirnbeck

I am a retired tool and die maker, interested in forestry. Of course we all know that tree roots and stumps and the buried rocks will quickly DESTROY a chain and bar and sprockets. BUT ADMIT IT we all have tried it anyway.
SO WHAT ABOUT THIS, you guys spend all day long cutting with a chainsaw.There are newly developed  CONCTETE cutting chainsaws. They have diamond and carbide chains and force fed cooling and chip removal with a residential water hose. So, if you have a say a  stump that was 15 inch diameter at ground level. Do you think that you could cut a tapered cone around the stump and roots and dirt similar to cutting an apple core with pocket knife.You guys are the experts. Thank you Edwin Dirnbeck

red

We have used a sawsall on small roots , but it was no picnic .  rent an excavator
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Grizzly

I'm no expert but dad did a bunch of them with me as general slave help. We dug around each root, wiped it by hand as best we could and then he went after it with the chainsaw. He was filing after...........well he filed lots but I can't remember how often. I remember being the one doing lots of shoveling and digging by hand to get it ready for the chainsaw. But after we were done the entire stump was gone and we could fill the hole with no evidence of any tree being there. So it can be done but I sure would prefer another method. I am pretty certain he would have found another way but this way will have fit the budget.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

edwin dirnbeck

Thanks for the replies,I am thinking that a diamond and carbide tooth chainsaw with an attached water hose would be able to cut thru the dirt and roots. This should leave a nice tapered hole after you pull the intact stump out, I hope others chime in. Edwin Dirnbeck

red

What type of tree ? And soil ? Do some searches on burning stumps out .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

newoodguy78

I can't offer much help as I have never tried it. I am however curious how it works if you try it. I've often wondered if one of those saws would work. I'll be following  :P  One thing I do know is stumps are miserable to deal with without hydraulics ;)

Grandpa

I don't know if it would work or not, but I do know that around here you can rent those chains. Payment is based on how much wear you put on the chain, they measure the teeth before you take it and after you bring it back. That might be a cheaper way to find out.

Most of those chains look pretty short, 14 to 16 inches, seems pretty short for stumping to me.

If you try it, please let us know how it works.

IndyIan

I cut a fair amount of dirt "flush cutting" small stumps with my little husky 141 for my trails.  Sometimes the stump "rises" in a couple years so I cut it again, or its punky enough that I let the brush hog on the tractor have a go at it, just creeping in with the hydrostat trans. 
A new bar and chain are cheap for a little saw on sale and as long as you don't pull dirt into the cut and watch for rocks, they last a surprisingly long time.  Also it will cut the outside frozen crust on a round bale pretty well too, just as long as you don't cut too much unfrozen grass as it clogs up the chain.
Everyone should have a cut anything saw!

Savannahdan

When you added water to the mixture all I could see is a mess and lots of grit/sand getting into your saw.  If I had quite a few stumps I'd be more inclined to just rent a trencher/backhoe from Home Depot and let it do the work.  Someone had a post (with video) regarding a trencher that they bought from Harbor Freight and used it to remove stumps.  It looked like a lot more fun than using a chainsaw/concrete saw.  Actually it looked like fun crawling around the yard like a dinosaur.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

petefrom bearswamp

IMO chainsaw chains of any description vs dirt of any type equals grief.
I second the excavator or at least a backhoe
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

NWP

Rent a stump grinder or pay someone with one to do it. It'll probably end up cheaper than the special saw and chain as well as the grief that will accompany it.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

TKehl

For a minute I thought you found the HOLY GRAIL of stump cutting saws for figured wood.  Looking at the chains more, yes, I think they would handle the rocks okay, but think between rocks it would burn the wood instead of cutting it.  It's more like a grinding wheel mounted to a special chainsaw chain.

If you can't burn the stump out, then I'm going to second stump grinding.  Hiring someone can be cheaper than renting a grinder (and a lot easier).  Meanwhile..., I'll keep my eyes peeled for that perfect stump saw.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Maine372

nothing that cuts wood well, cuts rocks well, and vice versa.

PNWRusty

Quote from: edwin dirnbeck on July 10, 2017, 08:00:12 PM
Of course we all know that tree roots and stumps and the buried rocks will quickly DESTROY a chain and bar and sprockets. BUT ADMIT IT we all have tried it anyway.

Dynamite still works a treat. But it's kinda difficult to get these days!   smiley_roller smiley_roller

mike_belben

Weld some flue pipe to an upside down 55 gallon drum and cut a door to feed it.  Drill or punch airholes down bottom and set it over the stump.  Burns em out nicely.

Ive seen portuguese people take out pretty big yard stumps with spade shovel, pressure washer and axe.  I guess it depends what your time is worth.
Praise The Lord

ScottAR

There's no actual teeth on a concrete chain.  They have diamond/carbide segments that abrade the concrete/stone away.  If this has to be a by hand operation, dig and use a recip "sawszall" saw on the roots.   Otherwise stump grinder or earthmover.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

John Mc

If I couldn't justify renting a stump grinder, excavator or backhoe, I'd use a sawzall before I'd use a chainsaw. They do make sawzall blades for brush and limb cutting that might work OK. I doubt they last long, but they are cheaper than a new bar and chain for your chainsaw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

H.O.D.

This spring I decided it was time to remove two pine stumps that I had cut over ten years ago..both over three feet in dia. I have hired a few large excavators over the years for other things but didnt want to try manuver into this location. I used chainsaw with a two foot bar and front bucket on the JD. The first one I cut down into quarters like a pie, getting into the dirt as little as possible then grubbing the roots off with the bucket. TRactor could then roll out the smaller sections.Wasnt pretty or quick. On the second stump I didnt use the saw but dug a circle around out where the roots where much smaller..that stump is still there but I will win someday. If I had any more than two to dig I would rent a small exc. I used up one chain and got dirt in the roller bearings..the front bucket is hardly the best tool for the job..The burn method would have been best to use but these stumps are in a wet area and never dried .Hope this helps.

s grinder

I'll third the stump grinder,rent or hire.Thats what i do,i run across people who have tried to cut them up with a chainsaw,and tried to burn them,i just chuckle.Takes me about 10 minutes maybe, to grind out a 15''stump.There's must be someone local that would do it cheap.

Thank You Sponsors!