iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 076av Super - sprocket play, clutch replacement, & fuel cap breather

Started by Westy, July 10, 2017, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and relatively new to chainsaws. I've got a couple of questions that have been on my mind.....

I picked this saw up second hand, and given its age have erred on the side of replacing parts that look a little suss. I've replaced the clutch, clutch bearing, and sprocket/drum on this saw as I was concerned about wear – one of the clutch shoes had some sort of pad on the outer surface that contacts the inside of the drum, whilst the other two were bare metal. I've replaced with the parts below (see post below as links didn't work):

I'm a little worried as I fired the saw up without bar/chain and when revs came down towards idle after giving it a squeeze there was a quite loud metallic rattle. I think that it's the sprocket rattling from side-to-side. The photos show the degree of play there is. I haven't started the saw up with a chain/bar yet until I'm 100% satisfied that all is well, but did also think that perhaps with a chain on and a little tension it would prevent the sprocket from rattling side-to-side. What do people think here?

Another unrelated issue.....the fuel cap seems to have a small grub screw which acts as a breather (see photo). I presume this is adjustable? If it is, how far in (or out) should it be adjusted? I plan on using the saw for milling and have noticed that whilst working on the saw at certain times when it's been flipped over, a small amount of fuel has bubbled out of that grub screw.

So three questions really....

1. What's going on with that old clutch – why would one shoe have that pad and the others not, and is it fine to be replaced with a clutch with all metal shoes?

2. Is that play in the sprocket normal, and should the rattle disappear once it's rigged up with bar and chain providing a little holding force to prevent it moving side-to-side?

3. What's the deal with the vented fuel cap – does that grub screw need adjusting to a certain point, and how do you tell where this is?

Thanks in advance

Thank You Sponsors!