iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Toy, life is getting easier

Started by PineHill4488, July 08, 2017, 08:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineHill4488

Howdy ALL,

I'm as happy as a pig in $%!+, I used the sketch in the Sept/Oct 1985 Mother Earth News of a straddle-legged log hauler. A dear friend stuck it together for me and today it moved its first log. Autobody at the college will paint it this Fall. Photos below.

I feel like it is Christmas, but it is July.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

plantman

That's awesome but can you get license plates for it ?

TKehl

Cool!!!!

Shouldn't be a problem getting plates if he wants them.  Midwest is a bit more laid back than the northeast.  In MO, if under 16' long you take it to any inspection station to get a slip as homemade.  Their inspection is 1.  a tape measure to make sure it's under 16' and 2. a cursory glance to make sure it's homemade (not stolen etc.).  Take the slip to the DMV with property tax receipt get tags on the spot and title in a week or two.  A set of magnetic lights and all set!

KS is no tags under 2 ton or so (can't recall exact amount)

Don't know details about AR, but I'm sure it's similar.

With that said, I have a couple small trailers that I've run a lot of miles for several years with no tags or lights using just hand signals and no issues.  :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

PineHill4488

Tags aren't a problem, a stop at the Assessor's office to get my less than $4,000 homemade trailer on the tax role, then DFA for license plate and submit for a title to come in a couple weeks.

I could switch plates from my single-axle 7'x10' trailer and avoid the tax man but why run the risk.

No tail/brake lights if I only drive in daylight. It is narrow enough that my truck's lights are visible but I got a set of magnetic-base lights to increase the safety margin. If load is more than 48" beyond rear of trailer then a caution (red) flag must be attached.

Using my rearview mirror, I only see the hand winch. Wheels are not visible in side mirrors. I need to tweek a little.

I'm thinking of upgrading to fore and aft 2500# electric winches. HF has them on sale next weekend.
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

Tom the Sawyer

Just to clarify, for Kansas.  License plate is optional for trailers with a GVWR of less than 2000 pounds.  Functional lights are required at all times on a public roadway.  Some prefer to tag them for identification purposes (in case of theft).  Note that it is not the actual load you are carrying, it is the rated capacity of the trailer, empty or loaded.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Ianab

If you intend to tow it on the road, I'd want brake and indicator lights at least. I might not be a legal requirement, but you don't know how much attention the guy behind you is paying. Brake and indicator lights improve your chances of not being rear ended.

Locally you could probably get it road legal with a quick safety inspection, some mudguards and a bolt on "light bar". They check for rust, dodgy welds, a worn coupling, safety chains bad wheel bearings, dodgy tires etc. I would be treated the same as things like boat trailers. But you would need a full set of lights, including one to light up your rego plate. It could be attached with some wing-nuts and easy to remove when not on the road. It just needs to be "attached" when you get the inspection, or pass a cop on the road.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I put a slow moving triangle LINK on mine because if/when it is ever on the road, it is slow moving.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Now you're at the next level!   8)   There are many many levels in this game.   :D

In case you were wondering the proper word for it, it's called a log arch. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dp79PfFYq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7-Keg61c-0
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

That's some ruff country and that a real arch...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

This one wasn't too shabby.  It was built for skidding Redwood logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Debarker mandatory, I hate to see soil and rocks ground into logs. Frank  C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SlowJoeCrow

My former employer who owns an excavating company loves old iron.  He found a Hyster just like what 4x4 posted, except the tracks were different and a lot more wore out.  We restored it and as far as I know it is still in Ohio.  He also has an older 1950's Cat D8 from the Army Corps of Engineers to go along with it, very cool.  We would move dirt with modern equipment and restore old iron in the wintertime.

PineHill4488

Yesterday, made a few changes to the loghauler (log arch). Beefed it up substantially, hopefully I won't be able to swayback this one.

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2017, 06:35:56 AM

No, you are not too shabby, I did not know that you skidded redwood logs  :D :D :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

Quote from: PineHill4488 on December 04, 2017, 02:45:48 PM
Yesterday, made a few changes to the loghauler (log arch). Beefed it up substantially, hopefully I won't be able to swayback this one.

Looks like you just quadrupled the capacity of your log arch.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Darrel

Quote from: WDH on December 04, 2017, 03:58:24 PM
Quote from: Magicman on July 10, 2017, 06:35:56 AM

No, you are not too shabby, I did not know that you skidded redwood logs  :D :D :D.

He was just built to skid redwood logs.  He doesn't say that he ever skidded any.  :laugh:
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

PineHill4488

Darrel,

Thanks, I hope that it is at least improved by that much.

Greg

Thank You Sponsors!