iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Design of LT-40 with Diesel Engine

Started by Jjoness4, December 04, 2017, 09:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jjoness4

On another current thread (on the woes of Kohler engines) there was a comment made about converting a gas LT-40 to diesel power and that WM did not recommend because of weight.  Poston said that it involved a bunch of mods and that it was not worth considering. I asked the question on the other thread about what design changes were made on the newer LT-40 to accommodate the additional weight of the Yanmar 35 HP diesel.  It was recommended that I start a new thread on this topic.   I am wondering what I might expect for longevity of say the up/down motor and other weight sensitive wear points.  Just curious.  Love the saw.
2017 LT40HDD35 , Kubota 4701, Ford 3000, Stihl Farmboss

JB Griffin

I have not looked into the difference between gas and diesel 40s simply because I will never own a gasser mill again, ever. But I would think that the up/down motor and gearbox is different and thats it.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  LT40HD Gas or Diesel 2002 and newer all the same gear box. Drive belt different Diesel has 3 grove pulley. Larger hp gas engines also have 3 groove drive pulley. So it depends. It is not a one sentence answer. It all depends on when the mill was made. Revision #.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Stuart Caruk

I do know that it seems to take a lot more work to put a Diesel on an LX450 than the gas engine. I've been waiting for months for mine, and it's (allegedly) being built this week. Totally different pulleys to get the speed torque curve correct, stronger components, and the main frame and lift carriage has to be beefed up substantially in order to carry the weight.

Still, if you're hand with a torch and a welder and have some decent mechanical skills, anything is possible.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!