iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile sawing

Started by woodman58, July 08, 2017, 08:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

Question for all mobile.
1) About how many days a year do you spend sawing mobile?
2) And do you do this as your main source of income.
3) How many years have you been sawing mobile?
Thanks Paul
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: woodman58 on July 08, 2017, 08:13:46 PM
Question for all mobile.
1) About how many days a year do you spend sawing mobile? Not nearly enough.
2) And do you do this as your main source of income. No.
3) How many years have you been sawing mobile? This is my 3rd year.
Thanks Paul
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Virtually all of my sawmilling is done mobile!

I start in (usually) late March or early April and end in early November!

Sawing is by no means, my main income, and sometimes I saw for $$$ and sometimes for trade of items or services.

I've been sawing mobile since 2005!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom the Sawyer

Been mobile for 7 years.  Mobile appointments account for about 75% of my milling volume.  In nice weather, I'll be on the road 2-3 days per week.  I am retired so I will mill any day of the week, but not every day of the week.  Wind chills below freezing or heat indices above 100, I don't mill (because I don't have to  ;D ).

I try to avoid mobile appointments on consecutive days but I will set up at home between appointments to mill for those who can transport their logs.  So far this year, mobile jobs have ranged from 180 bf to 2350 bf in a day.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

I am totally mobile.  I am also retired so averaging two or three days every two or three weeks is fine with me.

The income pays my property taxes and farm/sawmill related expenses, plus our vacation/travel expenses of which we are presently experiencing.

This is my 15th year sawing, and I have no intention of quitting. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Make it worth your while.  It takes me at least 3 hours to get ready to go to a mobile job: mill hookup, Tools, supplies, coolers, lunches, laborers.  And get there and set up is another half to a full hour.    That is a half day's labor for me.  Then if you leave for the night, your stuff has to be secured, trust it to the customer or carry it back home with you especially cant hooks, fuel tanks, small tools.  A positive thing about milling mobile is there is no sawdust and slab disposal to worry about. 

Milling at home I have to maintain the sawdust and slabs, but after I switch if off for the day, I can be showered and at the supper table in less than 20 minutes.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Nomad

My sawing is also strictly mobile.  Been doing this for about 10 years now, with the last 5 being my only working source of income.  (Not my main source.)  This time of year I'm not willing to work more than about half a day or so due to the heat.  Winter doesn't slow me down here in Florida.
     Doesn't matter to me if it's weekend or not; I work most Saturdays and (rarely) Sundays.  Many of my customers have 9 to 5 jobs and I don't see a reason for them use a day off to accommodate me.
     I occasionally work 5 or 6 days a week, but it seldom happens.  Usually it's more like 2 or 3 days a week.  I also don't like to schedule jobs back to back.  I prefer at least a day in between.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!