iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

esophagus spasms

Started by xlogger, July 08, 2017, 03:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Has anyone here had esophagus spasms? I started getting them 10 weeks after my bypass surgery and thought that I was having a heart attack. It seems like there is not a very good cure for it. But as one of my Doc's said it will not kill you. Its very uncomfortable and if I take a nitroglycerin pill it goes away. They change my meds some and it help but still comes on some. I was just wondering if anyone here has any luck with some sort of cure?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Chuck White

I had them a few years back, very uncomfortable!

When I'd go to swallow a bite, it would go part way down and STOP, wouldn't go down OR up!

I waited a few minutes and it cleared, but in the meantime it can really scare you!

Haven't had it happen in a long time now!   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

xlogger

I've had that problem with it also some. But now it mostly a pain in your chest like it's your heart. They ruled that out with another caf, heart in good shape after bypass.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

1938farmall

what you describe sounds familiar.  i use pantoprazole (protonix) - works very well. ymmv
aka oldnorskie

xlogger

Quote from: 1938farmall on July 09, 2017, 05:32:44 PM
what you describe sounds familiar.  i use pantoprazole (protonix) - works very well. ymmv
I'll check on that, thanks

coxy

I get it real bad sometimes and the only thing that will let the food go down is something to drink  and some types of food are worse than others  never did understand why and the doc was lost to   I started getting it at about 12-13  when I fell hitting my throat on a log running in the woods

Stuart Caruk

Ahhh, you bring back fond memories....not.

Last summer I went into Hepatic / Renal failure. Essentially after living 11 years with reduced kidney function subsequent to a neprectomy, my kidney and liver gave up. One of the odd side effects of liver disease is chronic itching and hiccups. Having non-stop hiccups for 5 months was bad enough, but the spasms were freaky. I would gasp for air unable to breath for 20 or 30 seconds. The gasping pumps air into the space above your stomachs sphincter muscle, and once the diaphragm relaxed I had the overwhelming desire to wretch for a couple minutes. Nothing much ever came up, but the dry heaves were bad enough to rip the espoghal lining and make it bleed. Ah, what fun. The docs tried all kinds of medicine, and nothing really worked. I found out that the Midodrin used to raise blood pressure made the hiccups really bad, so I ended up living with really low blood pressures rather than cause the dry heaves and potentially bleed to death.

Scouring the web for cures led me to an odd one. Hiccups and esophagal spasms both are issues with the diaphram. One of the cures noted was peppermint oil. Oddly enough it was Christmas and I was in dialysis hiccuping badly when I saw the note. I grabbed a couple candy canes and ate them, and almost instantly the hiccups reduced. I tried peppermint oil, but it burned terribly. Ultimately I discovered Peppermint Altoids. Strong buggers. Initially I couldn't stand them. After a while I began to crunch them like candy and suck on 3 or 4 at a time. Turns out that they never made the hiccups go away completely, but they pretty much cured the worst of the spasms. I bought them at the grocery store by the 6 pack and went through a pack a day.... I'm still weaning myself off them post transplant, and I can finally say that with a new liver the torment has stopped.... yaaaaaaa.

Sounds odd, but Altoids are a cheap thing to try. Best of luck.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

bobby s

Your symptoms sound like it could be achalasia. I have had it for over 20 years now. The muscles of the esophagus and valve going into stomach don't relax enough to move your food through.

Good luck

Thank You Sponsors!