iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maybe cypress

Started by bucknwfl, July 08, 2017, 11:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucknwfl

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=228615

Uncovered this 6x6 today.  the edges are partially rotten in places it was about 12 ft long.  I thought cypress at first but no smell. Location is southwest Alabama.  Any ideas.  So far this is the only thing different I have found besides cedar. The heart wood is fairly rot resistant, it has been here for at least 15 yrs

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

wolf nemeth

I've only   sawed one honey locust log, and was blown away  by how beautiful the  grain was.  I have no idea if it's gonna dry  flat and even, but am looking forward to  planing the boards in a few months.
     What is this   lumber generally  used for?
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

bucknwfl

Any ideas?  I will have better pics if I get a chance to mill it

Thanks

Buck

WDH

If it is cypress, if will not have resin canals.  If it is pine, it will have resin canals.  They can be seen with a hand lens or magnifying glass on a clean slice of the end grain like you would make with a razor knife.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bucknwfl

Thanks Danny I will see if I can figure it out. I brought a chunk  home and it has been staring at me ever since. I have had sleepless nights not knowing

Thanks

Buck

Thank You Sponsors!