iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heart Pine Farm Table with Breadboard

Started by WDH, July 07, 2017, 03:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I am building a farm table for a logger friend of mine.  The boards were sawn from beams that came from an old grist mill that was dismantled.  The old growth longleaf pine is so beautiful to me.  Farm tables are popular, and many beginning woodworkers are building them from Big Box store dimension lumber.  Two problems.  One, the wood is not dry enough for furniture and a lot of issues with tabletops warping and twisting.  Plus, much of this lumber comes from small, fast grown plantation logs, and many of the boards contain the juvenile core of the tree.  The second problem is that breadboard ends are popular, but many people do not understand how to deal with the cross grain situation between the breadboard and the top.  The top is shrinking and swelling with seasonal movement one way (across the grain), and the breadboard end is shrinking and swelling in the opposite direction.  Plus, many people just glue or screw the breadboard on the end of the table preventing seasonal movement of the top, and the top splits or cracks.

I thought that I would show one way to deal with the cross grain situation created with a breadboard and still allow the tabletop to shrink and swell with changes with humidity across the seasons.

Here is the carcass of the table.  The aprons are made from the heart pine, but the legs were bought from a company specializing in table legs, and they are just regular white pine.  The legs will be stained a dark color to not clash with the beauty of the heart pine top.

Here is the tabletop before glue-up and without the breadboard. 

The boards for the tabletop are only 3/4" thick, and I wanted the tabletop to appear thicker, so I glued up two 3/4" thick pieces to make the breadboards.  Once attached, the breadboard is 1 1/2" thick.  Then I glue a 3/4" strip underneath the long edge of each side of the tabletop to create a rim all the around the tabletop that is 1 1/2" thick, giving it the look that I want. 

To fit the breadboard, a tongue is cut on the tabletop that will fit into a groove in the breadboard.  The breadboard is dry fitted to the top, and holes are drilled through the top of the breadboard, through the tongue on the tabletop, and through the bottom of the breadboard.  Here is a pic of the tongue on the end of the tabletop showing the tongue with one of the holes drilled through it. 

Here is a pic of the breadboard with the holes drilled through it.

There are five holes in the breadboard and the tongue.  3/8" diameter walnut dowels are used to pin the breadboard to the tabletop.  Glue is applied to 1" on either die of the center hole, the dowel is driven all the way through the breadboard and the tongue, forcing any shrinking or swelling of the tabletop to the outside edges.  Those two holes on either side have no glue on the tongue.  These holes are elongated side-to-side just a bit to allow the tongue to move in the groove with any shrinking or swelling from seasonal changes.  I use a round chainsaw file to elongate the other four holes. 

You want to pin the tongue to the groove in the other four holes too, but you have to keep any glue off the tongue so that it can move.  To glue the dowel to the bottom of the breadboard (to keep it from ever coming out), I turn the breadboard over and put some tape over the holes.  Then, I flip it back over and insert a narrow funnel through the top hole in the breadboard, through the space where the tongue will fit, and then into the hole in the bottom of the breadboard.  The tape keeps the glue from running out of the bottom hole in the breadboard. 

Then, the breadboard is attached to the tonge, lining up the holes in the tongue and the breadboard.  The dowel is driven down through the top of the breadboard, through the tongue, and through the bottom hole in the breadboard.  The glue in the bottom hole of the breadboard coats the dowel as it moves through and pushes the tape aside.  Before dowel is all the way through the bottom hole, you stop and add some glue to the top of the dowel where if goes into the top of the breadboard.  Then you hammer it home another 3/16" of an inch or so, gluing the top of the dowel to the top of the breadboard, but no glue gets on the tongue.  This pic is of the center hole where tongue was glued to the breadboard 1" on either side of the middle hole.  You can see the glue squeeze out.  Remember, this is the only place where the tongue gets glue. The protruding ends of the dowels get cut flush with a flush cutting saw.

The dowels hold the breadboard tight to the tabletop.  Here is a picture looking at the end of the breadboard showing the joint.  It has not been sanded smooth yet.

Here is the table with the breadboard attached.

Now I have to round over the edges and apply the finish. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

I made a similar table for a lady friend out of resawn beams from a 1920's hospital, light powder post beetle damage but no active bugs. They use it as a kitchen table for a log cabin of the same age on the ranch.  Seemed mighty happy as her grandmother had worked there and the lady would go there after school till her folks got home.  Reclaim history for the family.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JV

Danny, I'm envious that's a beautiful piece. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Danny, since the lumber came from old beams did you still do any kiln drying to it?

Your way of crafting the bread board allowing for movement is mind blowing to me. First time I've seen this.
I'll have to say your picture really helped me understand why things that you do work.

Very good Danny.....I'm actually printing all this out for my folder. Great job my friend.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Savannahdan

Can't wait to see the final pics on this table.  How long is it?  I like the way you've installed the breadboards.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

David, yes, I took the boards and kiln dried them to 8%.  Dan, the table is 96" long (8') and 40" wide.  It will seat 10 people.  Two on each end and four on each side.  You figure 2' per person. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Joey Grimes

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2017, 10:16:44 PM
David, yes, I took the boards and kiln dried them to 8%. 

Just curious. do you know what the MC was of the lumber out of the old beams after sawing? Thanks

Magicman

Hey, I saw that table when it was only a stack of lumber.  That is probably the tightest grained SYP that I have ever seen.  ;D 

Looking good Danny, but then I knew that it would.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Moisture content when I got the boards from the customer was about 12% - 14%. 

Bruno of NH

Nice work
I like the looks of Syp
I might have to make a trip south for that and some red cedar
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

reedco

we have  one with all of the problems you talk about. will do better next time. misses loves it  will work for now.
Not many trees

WDH

I sell a lot of wood for Farm Tables. 

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

samandothers

Thank you for sharing your talents so we may learn from your experience and knowledge,  great looking table!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

You don't pick a number, you add them up.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

If those legs are hand turned I think we need $1,200, $1,500 and maybe keep going...nice job !
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

red

Priceless because Danny builds these for Friends and Family.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jemclimber

lt15

scsmith42

That looks fantastic Danny ! (as always, too!)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

flatrock58

Nice Table Danny.  I am about to cut some nice pine for a friend to build a couple of farm tables.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!