iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to explain the process

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, July 07, 2017, 07:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

I get a lot of calls from folks that have logs scattered about a field, dropped in the woods where the tree was cut, or otherwise strewn about. I also get people who want a board foot price over the phone. I deal with these situations best I can but I wonder how others explain getting the logs together and having help. Do most people provide their own help? Do you offer a helper? I cant cut for .25c per foot if I have to offbear and stack and deal with slabs. Is it unreasonable to want them to provide help? Some customers have become upset that I charge to bring my tractor and arrange the logs into an orderly pile prior to bringing the mill. How do you mobile folks gracefully explain the process? Thanks in advance, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

moosehunter

I explain it the best I can and also explain that if I don't have help or they are not ready (don't have logs staged, ext.) that I will charge by the hour. Base your hourly rate on what you can make if everything is going well by the board ft.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

I am a little north of you but not too far and I can't and don't even try to cut for $.25/bf. I donate to charities of my choice - not to total strangers who think they are doing me a favor being my customer.

The customer often does not know what a bf is so I tell them it is a square foot if 1" thick lumber and that my 5X8 trailer holds about 500 bf when stacked tight and level. As to the helper I just tell them up front that my price includes me doing the sawing and them providing the stacker and helper. I do tell them they must have the logs in a pile. I also tell them to be sure and center stack the pile rather than lining up the ends of different length logs.

I offer and do a lot of site visits ahead of time. It is much easier to point out what you need at the actual site but your comment was specifically about the phone comments. If you aren't offering a site visit think about it. Not to say the customer will ever comply with everything you tell him.

When I go to a site I always take a short cable in case I have to pull a log into place. On some sites I take a long cable, snatch block and a short chain to connect the snatch block. I may not move the logs with my truck but help provide equipment the customer (especially relatively urban folks) does not have.

In some cases the best thing you can do when you get to an unprepared site is leave. Don't waste your time and equipment or your personal safety if the customer is unduly prepared. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tom the Sawyer

For potential mobile appointments, I always do a site visit.  I explain the whole process, where I will set up, where the logs should be, how much help will be needed, make sure they understand what to do with their lumber (ie. stacking for air drying).  I don't charge for the site visit, they learn what's needed, and I learn a lot too. 

Not every site visit will result in an appointment, and that is fine with me.  If they are too cost conscious, or their 'logs' are not good candidates for milling, they may decide against it.  I provide them with a brochure that contains my fees and other information to help them get ready for milling day.  If they know what to expect, there are few surprises.  I also know what to expect and can be prepared for it.

I don't price my services based on what others are charging, nor do I set prices on what the market would bear.  Each year I do an analysis of my total costs of operation, and divide that by the board footage produced.  Where appropriate, I adjust my fees accordingly.  I love what I am doing, and there are occasions where I do it for free or at reduced cost, but my business is a "for profit" operation.

I strongly encourage you to work out what it actually costs you to mill.  It isn't just blades, fuel and your time.  What about maintenance and replacement cost of your mill over time, the cost of owning and operating support equipment, interest on loans, rent and utilities for your facilities, insurance, advertising, etc..  I, too, think that .25 p/bf is pretty low, especially considering all the extra work you indicated that you do.  Only you would know, but if you are charging less than your cost of operation, you'll go broke. 

There are those who think milling should be a lot cheaper than it is.  There are those who think someone should be happy to take down a tree that is hanging over their home because it is a walnut.  They are not in my client list.  At the end of my jobs, most of my clients think it was a really good deal.   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

drobertson

Its so different in all the differing parts of our county for pricing sawing. As you mentioned it sounds like more than just sawing.  Cutting to the chase,, I've sawn for .25 a foot when at the mill for a while.  it works for every one,  when dragging and misc. stuff, comes up, the game changes,, like Tom mentioned, a site visit, remove all doubt on both ends as to what the sawing will be when staged, and whatever help you need for off bearing.  I did a pile on my own, no help, might be the reason I'm in the shape I'm in,, figure the cost,  charity is charity. Giving your time away for folks that don't know is another game.  Don't kill your self or go broke,  it can happen, species and end the end use in my mind are the determining factors for the log owner. Many times they know, but pull the dumb card,, I say call it..sawing can be like a poker game, you lose a few hands to make a big one or two,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks guys. First I am not sawing for .25  a foot and I always do a site visit free of charge in my area. I have just had a big run of people that got a few "free" logs from a neighbor or whatever the case may be and now they want their "free "lumber!! I too am a for profit business and need to make up a rock solid flyer to hand out (its been a work in progress for several years). I want to be fair but not taken advantage of. Doing a site visit in the morning about 45 minutes from home. Great lunch spot on way home so that may be the best part of the trip. Thanks again, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

ToddsPoint

While on vacation in NE GA near Clayton we drove by a mom and pop sawmill. (old circle saw)  The sign said "Sawmill, $5 per cut."  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Thank You Sponsors!