iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installed Byrd Shellix on DW735

Started by Brad_bb, July 06, 2017, 01:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

So I have a Dewalt benchtop planer DW735 (the squatty one).  If you own one you know that they are very loud with the factory straight planer blades.  I got tired of dumping money into blades all the time and finally pony'd up for a Byrd Shellix head.  The installation took a few hours.  I did have to run to Napa once to get a new set of snap ring pliers.  The new cutter head is $470.  Actually I think I paid a bit less from a reseller.  Sound:  With the new cutter head, you almost don't even need ear protection.  It is so quiet compared the scream of the factory cutter head.  Cut:  looks good to me. Power draw.  Those that own this planer know that continued planing will overheat and cause the circuit breaker to trip with the factory straight knife cutter head.  With the new head I plane 3 green ash boards.  These boards had wavy cuts from the sawmill and I had to plane them to consistent 5/4 thickness (which is about 1-5/32nds).  Some parts of the boards were 1-5/8.  No problems with the first two 6 foot long boards.  On the third one, the second pass, the circuit breaker tripped.  I was taking off about 3/32nds per pass.  I think it draws less power than the factory cutters, but continued use builds up heat.  This is a benchtop lplaner after all, and not a professional industrial planer intended for continuous duty.  My only regret is no getter the Byrd Shellix head sooner and spending so much money on the factory straight knives.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

petefrom bearswamp

I have long thought about replacing the straight spiral head on my 20 inch Bridgewood with a Byrd, but am reluctant to bite the bullet.
My spiral is very quiet as i planed 2 dozen boards yesterday and dont need hearing protection IMO.
the only drawback is I  dont seem to be able to plane multiple boards at 1/8 inch cut with my 10 hp machine.
The neighbors used to remark about my old straight blade being noisy and the closest is about 300 yards away.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Darrel

I've never blown a circuit with my Dewalt benchtop planer and I've planed a lot of wide black oak. However, that thing does make a whole truckload of noise and the straight knives are expensive. I've thought of replacing the head but don't think the machine is worth it. But now maybe, I'll rethink that.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

That's just it, if you add up what you've been spending on straight blades, I would've already paid for the bird shellacs head and more, plus had all the advantages. That's why I regret not getting it from the start.

You have to also consider that straight blades will have a shorter life. By the time you get a few chips even though the rest of the edge may not be dll you have to change the blade. With the byrd Shellix  you can find that one cutter that might have a chip and rotate it.  You should get a lot more life out of the cutters then a straight blade. Each cutter has four cutting edges as well that can be used.

low_48

Made me smile; "I got tired of dumping money into blades.............., so I spent $470" :D   Reminds me of how much money the wife saves by shopping for clothes on sale!

WDH

The carbide inserts are great.  The finish is superior to a knife planer.  I am pushing 60,000 bf through the original set of inserts on my Grizzly 20" planer.  I am on the 4th face, and the finish is still excellent.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brad_bb

C'mon low_48...not the same situation.  It's simple math.  A new set of straight blades is $47 on amazon and $55 at Amazon.  Now at least half the time I don't plan well enough ahead and have to buy locally.  But let's just take the average which is $51. 
So $470/$51 =9.2 sets of blades.  I've gone through more than that in the last two years.  So in less than two years, it will pay for itself, plus I'll have the benefit of far quieter cutting, and a better cut.  $470 I think is the MSRP.  I think I paid less from a re-seller.  I want to say I paid like $420, plus I got 10 extra carbide cutters.  So i think in total I paid like $460 with the extra cutters.

FYI also, in the installation instructions they tell how to remove the old bearings and put them on the new spiral shaft, but you don't actually have to do that.  The new shaft comes with new bearings, which is great.  They probably originally sold it without bearings to keep the cost lower, but found customers damaging bearings trying to remove from old shaft.  They probably haven't updated the instruction manual.

petefrom bearswamp

I have had my carbide insert head for 15 years now and have replaced the cutters once.
I have destroyed a few with Hemlock knots and had to replace them tho.
Caveat though I dont use it often like you other fellows.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!