iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tabletops

Started by Joey Grimes, July 04, 2017, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I used one of the big mikita hand plainer I borrowed from a timberframer friend to flatten some big oak panels once .If I were going to try to go that route I would definitely use the commercial makita it's a well built tool.I keep looking at the wood wizz it's a awesome machine just don't think I could run it enough to justify the cost.

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

LeeB

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on July 13, 2017, 12:46:25 PM
I have never used a router planing sled, but I agree with Yellowhammer, a power hand planer would have to be faster than a router, probably leave a better finish as well.
Heck take it one step farther and mount a lunchbox planer head on the rails with the ability for it to slide back and forth and sideways.  Might be a liitle hard to control, I'm not sure.

Somebody on here mounted one to a mill frame once some time back. don't remember how long ago it was or who did it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tmbrcruiser

Baker has a router shed and table set up to mill slabs. I think it is a little pricey, but does a very nice job.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

xlogger

Today I got a 3 1/2 hp plunge router off craigslist. Now to figure out do I want to built a router sled or go the woodhaven route. I see what Joey said about the woodhavens sled so that has me thinking more about building one. I need to be able to take it apart, where I would use it in my garage it would be in the way if I left it there all the time. There is a guy on youtube that goes by samurai carpenter that built one that looks like setting it up and taking it apart and storing it would not be a problem.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

flatrock58

I saw the Wood Wizz at a woodworking show in Atlanta.  It is a machine imported from Australia.  It did a great job.  I think the cutter head was 6 or 8" and it had a sanding disc too.   I think it was $15k.  For $900 you can get a 6" cutter head to fit a Lucas mill.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

TKehl

For that kind of money, may as well get a CNC router setup and a sturdy table.   :-\
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

woodweasel

I have done a quite a few table tops glued out of cedar. I run them thru the planer. Sand with 80 grit, then work my way down to fine grit. Wasn't a big deal. Then I did the same with mesquite. This was a big deal, had to sand a long time. Came out nice, just time consuming. Turn the exposed table top down on a flat surface when gluing.

Thank You Sponsors!