The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Nyle power vent  (Read 1439 times)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
Re: Nyle power vent
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 05:54:02 pm »
I notice yesterday during a heat cycle that my front vent was open. The vent control fan is off and is not running. This is the first time I've notice them open without power vent running. I open the front door to see if they were stuck and they shut as soon as I open the door and open again when I shut the front door. During normal running the DH I've not notice them open like this. Has anyone notice this before?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 11:38:55 pm »
This is smething I came across in my kiln build and it is not desirable, and I'm assuming you have the passive intake vent installed on the suction side of the plenum and the powered exhaust on the pressure side? 

If so then they should be reversed, with the auto exhaust vent on the suction side, and the intake vent on the pressure side. 

The internal,pressure will keep the instake vent closed until the motorized exhaust vent turns on and it will overcome the pressure balance and force the intake vent to open. 

Or just put duct tape over the intake vent when sterilizing. 
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 08:36:58 am »
I seem to be missing something. If one vent is open, it cannot exhaust air without having fresh air come into the kiln from somewhere. And fresh air cannot enter into a kiln unless a vent or leaks allow air to be exhausted.  So, it would seem that having one vent open is not an issue in a leaky kiln. The exception would be if we are drying the wood so fast that the vapor is creating pressure...something that does happen when drying southern pine at 230 F.

It is common for medium and large kilns to have fans that reverse direction every two hours. Do they also reverse the power vents?  It makes sense to me that the power vent should assist the natural venting that the circulating fans develop. So, the high pressure side is exhaust.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:10 pm »
You are correct, the makeup air is coming in from the other vent, allowing airflow.

Both vents have the same model passive louvers except the power vent has its blower mounted in line with its passive louver.  The exhaust louvers open slightly to the outside, even when the exhaust blower is not running if they are on the pressure side.  So some air is always exhausted from the pressure side and thus the passive intake vent then opens slightly to refill the chamber.  So in effect, two partially open and very leaky vents in that configuration.

If they are reversed, to where the exhaust vent is on the low pressure side then the passive louvers will get pulled backward into their frame to the closed position, much like a check valve.  So since they are forced closed, so is the passive intake vent, which being mounted on the high pressure side, also gets held closed against its frame.  So both are relatively sealed. 

Both vents do leak however, by their design tolerances, and when I'm running a sterilization cycle in the winter, I will put tape over both the vents. 

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 06:46:44 am »
I get it.  Thanks for making sense of all this indeed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Offline Woodslabs

• Full Member x2
  • Check out my wood mill in Toronto
    • Live edge wood slabs Toronto
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2017, 06:28:50 pm »
I just got my unit and can't figure out which way the power vents go.

L  |   H

So the L is the low pressure and the H is high pressure with the | being the baffle.  Fans are taking air from the L and moving it to the H.

Where does the vent with the fan go and is that the intake or the exhaust and where does the vent with no fan go.  I don;t kn ow if the manual is just crappy or im too dumb to understand :)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 05:04:18 am »
on post #16 you can see the picture of where I put my intake vent.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline K-Guy

• http://www.nyle.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 10:52:35 am »
Warning!! The power vent locations for the L53 are NOT the same for the L200!!

Offline Woodslabs

• Full Member x2
  • Check out my wood mill in Toronto
    • Live edge wood slabs Toronto
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 06:12:40 pm »
You are correct, the makeup air is coming in from the other vent, allowing airflow.

Both vents have the same model passive louvers except the power vent has its blower mounted in line with its passive louver.  The exhaust louvers open slightly to the outside, even when the exhaust blower is not running if they are on the pressure side.  So some air is always exhausted from the pressure side and thus the passive intake vent then opens slightly to refill the chamber.  So in effect, two partially open and very leaky vents in that configuration.

If they are reversed, to where the exhaust vent is on the low pressure side then the passive louvers will get pulled backward into their frame to the closed position, much like a check valve.  So since they are forced closed, so is the passive intake vent, which being mounted on the high pressure side, also gets held closed against its frame.  So both are relatively sealed. 

Both vents do leak however, by their design tolerances, and when I'm running a sterilization cycle in the winter, I will put tape over both the vents.

please let me know if i got this right.

I just got my unit and the manual is confusing.

I will put the louver with the fan on the Low pressure side with the fan facing outside the kiln?  The other non fan one will goo on the high pressure side in the front of the kiln?

Also with regards to wiring the louver is it TB 16 or 17 on the control unit?