iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well now I did it. The sawmill build has begun.

Started by Crusarius, July 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Ox do you do pickups?

I do hate crowds, but I enjoy toys :)

Ox

My pickup fee is double the amount of wood.  Free, clear and unhindered use required of course.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm gonna need this in lumber form, all planed to uniform thickness and all shoulders rounded over.  Is this too high a storage fee?  :laugh:
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

you lost me at planed. what you think this is? An airport? :)

Crusarius

here it is. The last package arrived. Now to figure out how it all goes together.

Ox

i meant planed as in running them all through a thickness planer to have uniform thickness to all boards  :)
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Crusarius

I know :) you will have to buy me the planer first.

Ox

see how dumb i am?  you made a funny and i was too stupid to see it.  you win.  :D

Crusarius

Crusarius

Now I am faced with the biggest dilemma and hardest decision to make.

What color do I paint it?

I love orange but don't want to look like a woodmizer, really prefer to have a color that is not on a production mill.

I love yellow and really want to do yellow but trying to get a nice yellow paint that doesn't need 100 coats is not easy.

Any ideas?

Magicman

Paint it the color of sawdust.  What is your favorite lumber species??   ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Good yellow paint can be had from the tractor supply store cheap.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Everything I have tried from them still takes 3 coats to look the way I want it to. If I didn't hate painting so much it wouldn't be bad to have the extra protection.

Ox

Try tinting your primer yellow.  It makes a world of difference.

btulloh

Tractor Supply is a good suggestion.  Even if it takes 3 coats.  They sell hardener for their enamel, which I think is essential on machinery.  You can get some pretty good machinery enamel (and hardener) at NAPA for a decent price.  Not cheap, but you get what you pay for with paint.  If you want it to last and look good, spending a couple extra bucks on paint is a good idea when you consider the time you put in to prep and paint. 

If you really want it Concourse-ready you could color sand, buff it out, then clay it  to get that Best-of-show, ten-foot deep look.   ;)

Any pro paint supplier will have a good single-stage enamel for machinery.

If it were me, I would use a two-part epoxy primer as well.  Just my 2/100 of a dollars worth.
HM126

grouch

Quote from: Crusarius on August 18, 2017, 09:14:20 AM
Now I am faced with the biggest dilemma and hardest decision to make.

What color do I paint it?

I love orange but don't want to look like a woodmizer, really prefer to have a color that is not on a production mill.

I love yellow and really want to do yellow but trying to get a nice yellow paint that doesn't need 100 coats is not easy.

Any ideas?

You could prime it with EPX-900 / 901 epoxy primer.  (Data sheet says it comes in gray, but all I've ever seen is baby-poop yellow). It's an industrial coating and 1 coat will definitely cover anything underneath. It will break down in UV, though. I have a King Cutter 5ft tiller that looks a little chalky after 5 or 6 years; it came with that epoxy as a top coat.

That would give you a yellow base so that your top coat won't have to be so heavy.
Find something to do that interests you.

Crusarius

Thanx for all the ideas. I definitely like the idea of having a nice hard paint so it lasts. I am sure I will need to modify it in the future.

So is yellow the right color? My wife wants me to make it purple :)

I started picturing purple with fluorescent green.

Ox

No.  think_not steve_smiley dadgum you, Charlie! arg-smiley no_no ban_smiley Friends don't let friends have purple sawmills.  ;) :)

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

Step out into the woods. Shake a sapling vigorously. Search the ground around it until you find a caterpillar or other woods critter. Paint sawmill to *match* critter.

Crusarius

I had a hard enough time finding my big blue truck at boonville. If I did that I would never see my sawmill again. :) Kool thought though. but I need to go to the rainforest to get the colors I like :) Loud and obnoxious.

Ox

It might be time for an intervention, fellas.  :snowball:

Crusarius

I will be home working in the shop all weekend :)

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

Quote from: Crusarius on August 22, 2017, 07:51:18 AM
I had a hard enough time finding my big blue truck at boonville. If I did that I would never see my sawmill again. :) Kool thought though. but I need to go to the rainforest to get the colors I like :) Loud and obnoxious.

A sawmill should fit in with its neighboring flora and fauna.

How about a subdued industrial paint job?

Maybe basic black and white with a splash of loud?

Pastels with an attitude?

Warning! Do not touch! -- Fitting message on a sawmill, eh?

This one would be easy; just leave it bare metal for a little while.  ;D

Crusarius

Thank You Sponsors!