iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well now I did it. The sawmill build has begun.

Started by Crusarius, July 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

My buddy is selling a 60 hp skidsteer :) Should be more than enough. For today :)

You are all very right. I will make do with what I have. I do have a crazy design in my head involving a pair of angled poles stuck in the ground and a winch :)

MbfVA

Quote from: Remle on July 05, 2017, 08:36:04 AM
Quote from: Crusarius on July 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM
Does anyone use the Linn Lumber spring loaded log clamps? I am toying with the idea of using them. They look pretty sweet in the video's
My neighbor has a Linn mill, the spring log clamps work well, also recommend the hdy tightener..

I looked on the Linn Lumber site and could not find any reference to "spring  log clamps" under accessories or parts.   Can you show me where to look?
www.ordinary.com (really)

Crusarius

You will have to look at the videos. They only show the clamps in those.

Their website leaves a bit to be desired. Half the parts on my buy list from them do not even show up on the website.

Remle

Quote from: Crusarius on July 19, 2017, 07:36:26 AM
You will have to look at the videos. They only show the clamps in those.

Their website leaves a bit to be desired. Half the parts on my buy list from them do not even show up on the website.
Crusarius beat me to it.. Yes, look for the 10 second segment, 1:00 to 1:10 in the 2012 sawmill demonstration. They simply ride back and forth on the cross rails and are held with a simple spring / chain.

Crusarius

Little more screwing around on the computer last night. Seems I can only spend about 30 minutes at a time doing computer stuff.

This entire assembly is supposed to rotate 90 degrees to switch from backstop and clamp to just log clamps. The right half of the assembly will slide and be held in place using a spring and chain. I put a chain slot in the clamp and on the bracket so when it is rotated I do not have to try to reach underneath to hook the chain.

The same concept with the connecting rod to raise and lower all of them at one time. I was originally thinking T-bolts for set screws for the bar height adjust but now am wondering if I can mill detente slots into the bar and make spring loaded detentes. definitely make for quick easy adjustments.

The downside to this setup is not being able to use the backstop and the bottom clamp at the same time. Does anyone think that will be a problem? I feel that once it is square then I will use the clamps instead of the stops anyhow.

Kbeitz

Instead of milling detente slots I bought square rack off E-bay.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

how do you lock it? Is that what sits against the log?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on July 20, 2017, 11:54:10 AM
how do you lock it? Is that what sits against the log?

I started out with a twist screw but I soon changed to a cam lock.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

That makes sense I was picturing the rack being vertical. I plan on using a spring tensioner to hold the log clamp in place. The detentes I was talking about was for the vertical pieces so they did not have to have T-bolts to lock them in place.

Might have some time to do a quick sketch tonight.

Crusarius

I finally ordered my parts from Linn Lumber.

Ordered the basic 36" saw head. the raise and lower kit. and the 2 belt clutch.

I will be trying to keep a close tally on what I spend and how many hours I put into this. May help someone in the future. Or at least maybe make me feel better about what its going to cost me to build.

Ox

A close tally of cost and how long to do things would be one of the best built threads to do.  You'll be surprised at how many people will read it and follow it, even if it's silently.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

scrout

I built a Linn as well, purchased just the sawhead.  I did my own legs/feet, which works well since I am mostly stationary.
Your movable backstop design would be really nice over totally manual, my bunks/backstops are movable back and forth on the bed, which is handy.
One thing I usually miss is some kind of toe jack/roller.
I do agree, once you get going, sawing is easy, handling logs is WORK.  My tractor will lift 2k lbs on the loader, but I still have to parbuckle the larger logs up onto the saw.  The other must is power carriage travel and height.  No way you can crank all the time.
One advantage of the Linn 36 inch model is the 158 inch blade, a common length.
Good luck!

Crusarius

Scrout, you ever find the want to have more downward force on the legs? or is the gravity good enough? I was planning trailer jacks. But I keep thinking about the $40 each and wanting 8 of them.

Crusarius

Crusarius

So the tracking numbers say my packages should arrive Tuesday 8/15/17 from Linn Lumber.

I was at Empire farm days show on Tuesday and found a real nice 10" dual compound sliding miter steel cutting saw. Will cut a 3x8 piece of tube. Since I was planning 2x6 for my frame this will make my life great since my bandsaw only was able to cut 4.5". Made me have to flip the tube over try to line it up again then grind the mess off anyhow.

Of course the following weekend I will be in the adirondacks so not able to work on it. But good news is that is the boonville show weekend :)

Darrel

Crusarius, to I detect a tad bit of excitement?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

Find something to do that interests you.

EZ

I built my own frame years ago out of 4x8 square tubing which has held up really great but, sure is heavy to pull.
I always told myself if I would ever build another frame it would be out of 2 inch tubing and the sides of the frame would be built like an invented truss. A frame built like that would be very strong plus alot lighter.
EZ

Crusarius

Crusarius

Crusarius

I am planning 2x6.188 wall. Just the frame should weigh approximately 720 pounds. By the time everything else is on it I am betting the entire thing will weight 1500. Definitely hope to keep it under 1800. Should make it pretty reasonable to move around with just about anything. Except maybe not so easy by hand.

Crusarius

The clutch showed up Monday. I got 2 boxes today. Expecting 2 more tomorrow. To bad I will be in the Adirondacks this weekend. Won't get a chance to start building.

But at least I will get to Boonville.

Crusarius

Here are the first 3 packages. Next two should be here today.

I may be getting a little excited about this :) Already have a few ppl telling me about trees they are taking down. Have a lead on 3 nice basswood trees and a few nice maples. Plus my 10 acres of my father 50 acres of trees.

Where am I going to store all this wood?

Ox

You can store your excess wood at my house.  My storage fee is absolute and unhindered use of said wood.  ;D

Have fun at Boonville.  I went once.  Loved the machinery, hated the crowds.  I don't think I'll ever go again.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!