iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Onan to kohler conversion

Started by davidn3, August 29, 2017, 11:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidn3

I have an onan 24 in my lt40.  For half the price of a rebuild kit I got a kohler 25.   Any one ever do this conversion.  What extra parts am I going to need.  And looking for some instructions on how it is wired.  I assume I just not use the internal alternator and regulator but not sure what wires go to what and I'd rather not take the loom apart as it looks nice and clean right now.

D6c

Seems like I recently read a post here where someone did one.   As I remember it was a fairly easy conversion.   The one thing I remember is they had to ad about a 1" spacer under the new engine because the crankshaft height was different.

Chuck White

I did the conversion around 2 years ago!

Simple, only took about 2 hours total!

I ordered the 25hp Kohler kit from Wood-Mizer and the kit included everything that was needed!

The kit included the engine, spacers to raise the engine, drive belt, replacement shield to cover the belt behind the engine!

The change-over instructions were included!

I was out on a saw-job about 8 miles from home and the customer had several stacks of logs and when we finished the stack we had started on, I took the mill home and we did the change-over, which took around 2 hours!

Nothing at all difficult or complicated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

davidn3

do you happen to have a copy of those instructions?  I got a used kohler command pro 25.  So all I have right now is the engine.  I'm sure it will be somewhat simple, but just trying to look ahead to see what else I'm going to need and avoid problems like spacing.  Thanks

sawguy21

You likely will need to space the engine, the V-twin crankshaft center line will be lower than the old L-head Onan. Are the crankshafts the same diameter so your clutch or pulley(s) will fit? Does the new engine have it's own key switch or do you need to connect to the existing one? The old engine may have battery ignition like your truck, the Kohler has a magneto. You would have to change the key switch and some wiring, you DON'T want to feed 12 volts to the Kohler ignition.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

davidn3

I called woodmizer and ordered the rest of the kit.  It was a couple hundred.  Wiring haness is what I was really concerned about but ended up needs some new pullies, belts, mount spacers, and throttle linkage.  The onan is also magneto but slightly different than the kohler.  The kohler everything is internal.  Only thing external is a harness plug. 

Chuck White

So WM will send you the installation instructions!   ;)   :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

davidn3

Does anyone have pictures of a kohler 25hp engine on a woodmizer?   Specifically the throttle linkage and the wiring.  The woodmizer instructions are too basic.  No real guidance on how to hook things up that were different from the old engine.

Chuck White

The throttle linkage is hooked up just the same as it was with the Onan!

davidn3

the kohler 25 has a mechanical governor on it.  So the throttle levers aren't as obvious as just hooking the cable to a lever.  There are several levers to choose from with only one being the actual throttle. 

davidn3

This what I have so far.  Throttle seems a bit short.  Also not sure how to attach it to the throttle.  Can rig it with some aircraft wire.

Chuck White

You might consider using a spring for the connection!

sparks

David on the Kohler's we buy the dealer modifies the throttles for us so that they work on our mill.

The ring of the throttle cable connect to the linkage with a Spring, .5" x .08" x 1 3/8" Extension.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!