iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building utility trailer?

Started by Woodhauler, July 04, 2017, 07:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

I am making a 12ft trailer out of a old camper frame. It is going to have a 12ft deck, and the tounge is 3-4 ft long. Question I have is the axle will be back about 2 feet off center on the 12 ft deck. Do you think it will haul ok ? Its going to be for a SXS UTV and it can be backed on to get weight on back if needed.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ox

Just like you said - as long as you remember to get some tongue weight on it you'll be rosy.

There's a short Youtube video about tongue weight using small model cars on a track (think belt sander upside down, running, for a track).  They move a single light weight around from front to back of trailer and you see immediately what can happen with a light tongue vs. a heavy tongue.  Crazy stuff.

My wife has a little pop up camper that's falling apart.  When it finally gets too rotten I'm going to do the same thing.  It'll be fun to tear it to pieces with the backhoe over by the fire pit because I hate the stupid little thing.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ianab

Rule of thumb we use here is you want about 10% of your trailer's weight on the towbar, rest on the axle. This is the same no matter if the trailer is empty or loaded.

This should reduce the chances of the "tail wagging the dog" that Ox is talking about.

With the axle set back a bit from the centre of the deck like that, you are probably pretty close to the right balance. It's better to have a little more tongue weight, rather than too much weight further back.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!