iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Common courtesy???

Started by Woodhauler, July 03, 2017, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

I have 16ftX24Ft float I built 3 summers ago on a local pond/lake. The first two years I had a 7ftX14Ft building on it. All the people I know have been told to use it. This year I took building off and put a 12X16 canopy on it for more room to hang out. Myself, wife, daughter and husband plus 2 kids and my buddy and his wife and kids spent day out there sunday, We cooked fished tubed and swam. Now to the common courtesy ? We packed up and headed back to shore and before we got boats out of water 2 other boats that was fishing near us during afternoon went and hooked up to float and moved on to it. Nor I or my buddy knew them. I almost went back out but being a holiday I let it be. I will let anyone use it but if you cant come over and ask that's just plain RUDE!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Jeff

I'd have to ask a few questions to form an opinion.

Is your name on it?
Is it registered?
Is it tied up in front of a private home or lake lot or just moored in a more public area?
Are your friends offering it for use to their friends?

It could be it has been there long enough and been seen being used by so many different people, folks may have formed the opinion that it was put there for public consumption.  Even you say you offer it to everyone you know.

We went to the park a few days ago, some people were using the one pavilion. We saw them picking up their stuff, load it in a car and then start rounding up kids. Since they were obviously leaving, we sat down in the pavilion. It never occurred to me to ask the people that were leaving if it was okay for us to use it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

WH,

My questions are similar to Jeff''s. I don't know the laws or protocol of building and leaving such a structure on a public lake. If no other registration or tagging requirements I'd be tempted to at least put a discrete tag on it saying something like "___ FAMILY FLOAT. BUILT AND CHRISTENED BY __ ON __." I might also put another tag on it "IF/WHEN NOT IN USE BY__ FAMILY AND FRIENDS YOU ARE WELCOME TO USE THIS FLOAT. PLEASE HELP KEEP IT CLEAN AND IN GOOD REPAIR." The problem you may encounter is getting someone else to leave when you do want to use it. You might put up advance notice when you scheduled to use it whenever possible and convenient.

If you put the wrong kind of message on it you will offend and possibly insult people and I think you will encourage damage and destruction.

As to the folks you mention, if it had been me I would probably have asked first but I don't think it sounds like they were intentionally trying to be rude or inconsiderate. I'd bet they thought it was public property and no intention to be overbearing.

Dad used to tell the tale about an old wooden boat left on a lake that everybody used. Somebody told him if anyone ever asked him about it to just tell them "Bill said I could use it." One day he was fishing in it and as guy came and asked him and he said "Bill said I could use it." Then the guy said "I'm Bill." Dad was a little embarrassed but the guy laughed it off and said it was okay and he could use it from then on. I think it was a case of a friend of a friend passing along the invite.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodhauler

Quote from: Jeff on July 03, 2017, 09:36:13 AM
I'd have to ask a few questions to form an opinion.

Is your name on it?
Is it registered?
Is it tied up in front of a private home or lake lot or just moored in a more public area?
Are your friends offering it for use to their friends?

It could be it has been there long enough and been seen being used by so many different people, folks may have formed the opinion that it was put there for public consumption.  Even you say you offer it to everyone you know.

We went to the park a few days ago, some people were using the one pavilion. We saw them picking up their stuff, load it in a car and then start rounding up kids. Since they were obviously leaving, we sat down in the pavilion. It never occurred to me to ask the people that were leaving if it was okay for us to use it.
Yes it has name on it,  No need to register it, its away from all the camps on lake, 95% of people know its mine, warden service included. It just struck a cord with me that they couldn't ride over before we left to say hi or ask. I guess no harm no foul but I wouldn't have done it if I was in there shoes.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ljohnsaw

WH,
Taking what you related in the OP:  If I were the other fishermen, I would feel like I was being pushy if I motored over, while you were still using the float, and asked "Are you leaving soon?  We would like to use the float." 

Now that you mentioned that your name was on it, if I had motored over after you left and saw the sign, I'd be inclined to go over to the boat ramp and talk with you (making the assumption it was your float or were given permission to use).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DelawhereJoe

Both common courtesy and common sense were both something that this century lacks heavily, entitlement rains supreme.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Stoneyacrefarm

X2 what Delaware joe said.
I see it all the time at my place.
People fish my pond and leave worm and hook containers everywhere.
I left a bucket for trash.
They just fill it up with beer cans.
Lol.  :D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Ken

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on July 03, 2017, 06:14:20 PM
Both common courtesy and common sense were both something that this century lacks heavily, entitlement rains supreme.

One of my elderly clients called me a couple of Saturday nights ago all upset.  Somebody had driven in through an unlocked gate I had recently installed on her property.  When he returned the gate was locked.  He phoned her and proceeded to call her every name in the book because he had been fishing back there for years.  The new gate also has numerous private property no trespassing signs posted.  Some people
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Peter Drouin

I like to see and talk to people like that. taz-smiley boxingsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!