iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's wrong with my boards

Started by mjeselskis, July 02, 2017, 08:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

I just sawed up about 2000 bd ft of white pine that I hauled out this winter. I sawed it in early June and had no blue stain or pine borers. The wood was nice and white and clear. I stacked it all in my garage and now 3 weeks later it's growing stuff like you see in the picture. This is supposed to be tongue and groove for the inside of my garage walls so I don't want it all stained. I already spayed it with some bleach water and it seemed to slow it down but it's still going bad. Any ideas on what's going on?

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

caveman

It looks like you are not getting enough airflow.  If drying it in your garage, you may have more success by running a fan through the stack for the first week or so.
Caveman

btulloh

Mold. You need air circulation. You'd be better off outside but probably still need fans. Down here pine will mold overnight in summer.
HM126

mjeselskis

I have a box fan blowing on the stack now and open the big doors on the nice days. Will the mold stain the wood or will it clear up when I plane it? Anything I can do to stop it besides more airflow?

I Appreciate the help. It's no fun to put all this time into it and have it turn out bad.

bandmiller2

If I want nice unstained pine I cut it in the winter. Try plaining a board or two and see how deep the stain goes, or just put a stain on it once its installed. If pine is milled in warm weather you must get the surface dry quickly or blue stain will take hold. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sealark37

Surface mold and blue stain are two different problems.  I think that the mold you have will plane out if you can speed up the drying process.  Regards, Clark

YellowHammer

Mold won't grow on dry wood.  Nor will it grow fast on cool wood.  So the best thing to do is put one or two big fans on the stack, and get it out in the open, under shade, if possible where the moisture will vent.  About 650 fpm airflow is good for pine, which is a significant wind, and not only does the high air velocity dry the surfaces of the wood, it will also cool the wood off, as an evaporative cooler. The air coming out of the stacks will be noticeably cool and moist.  A single box fan for 2,000 bdft would be marginal at best, as I don't see how it could cover it, two would be better, and for 2,000 bdft, I would have 2 stacks of 1,000 bdft, and have a set of belt driven fans in the middle of them. Somewhat similar to this:

From the picture, your stickers as growing mold as well, not a good sign, an indication of trapped surface moisture for too long, green stickers, or several their things.

The green fuzzy surface mold will generally plane out, but will also quickly develop into deeper stain.

Spraying with bleach and water will help temporarily, but it also serves to rewet the wood, which if not allowed to dry quickly, only makes things worse, because it has little or no residual positive effect.  Timbor or other moldicide will help with the green and white mold, but not with blue stain. 

There are a couple things you can do, none of which are easy. 

I would break down the stacks, flip the boards over, and move the stickers sideways a little, a few inches, otherwise you will probably get significant sticker stain if you don't already have it. I can see some mold discoloration directly under the top sticker in your photo. 

Fans, fans, and more fans. 

Get the stack out in the open, in the shade if possible.

Test some, as bandmiller2 suggested, plane a board and see if any damage has already been done.  That will give you a good indication of if they will clean up. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

An old timer told me that black mold will be go away in the sun, so with boards like that, without being an expert, I would take them out into the sun and zap em.  Keep tabs on them, dont let them be out there all day, maybe an hr or so then flip.  Stickers out there too.  Then restack with fans like Robert yellohammer said.  He's expert mode lol
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

A garage is not a good place to dry green wood.  You need another place with open sides or build a roof over the stack outside.  Then bomb it with fans. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

I've never had much luck with drying pine in warm weather
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishfighter

Yep, bleach and fans are a must along with restacking.

That mold will plane out easy.

69bronco

I'd Def replace those stickers with dry ones and move them a bit. A little blue stain isn't so bad but sticker stain is butt ugly.

DanG

...or, you could just put that beautifully stained wood on your wall and say, "Look what I created!"   8) 8) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

mjeselskis

I won't forget this lesson, but man, this is tough. I have close to 40 hours into these boards with hauling out the logs, sawing, and stacking. Between the mold and sticker stain, they look pretty awful. I'm going to lay them out in the sun and flip them and then restack them outside. Not sure if I'm going to end up using them on the walls or not, but they at least need to be dried.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You need to pressure wash them now.

Rule of thumb...ALWAYS have dry stickers. Just take a day and saw stickers and let them dry. Dry stickers is an important investment.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

btulloh

Deck brightener will help the mold stains if all else comes up short.  It's more time and expense, but . . . 

I learned about mold the hard way and the deck brightener helped me out.
HM126

YellowHammer

Eeek...yep, that's probably gonna leave a mark. 
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

petefrom bearswamp

You did a great job of stickering.
Too bad about your problem
I concur that lack of air flow is the problem.
What little WP i sawed a few yrs ago was dried outside with my home made tin covers and I had very little mildew, mold or blue stain.
When the wind was blowing the lee side of the stacks was like standing in an air conditioned room
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mjeselskis

They are all outside laying in the sun and pressure washed. I used mold armor with the pressure washer on the worst ones. The kids stacked up the stickers like Lincoln logs to dry and I'll restack everything in a few days. It's supposed to be low humidity and sunny the next few days so I'm hoping the surface will dry well.

flatrock58

I had the same problem over the last two weeks with some 1x12 board and batten I cut.  I have them stacked in the new shed but there is no power so no fans.  I unstacked them and sprayed bleach, but like yellowhammer said that does not stop the moisture problem. 

I was wondering if I stood the boards up after cutting the if they would dry better than stacking and stickering them?  They would definitely get more air flow.  it has been raining every day in Georgia and humidity is sky high. 
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

kelLOGg

I am sawing pine now for a customer and due to the humidity I am stacking and stickering on my trailer and moving the trailer to its shed to avoid getting wet from rain. I have put a fan on the trailer and for the first time I am using plastic sheeting to channel the air flow through the boards. The shed is quite low and it is difficult to see but the plastic is at the far end. So far there is about 200 bd ft of pine. I have been accumulating it for about 5 days. I can make draping of the plastic more effective if needed. We'll see.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Quote from: flatrock58 on July 04, 2017, 10:36:18 PM
I was wondering if I stood the boards up after cutting the if they would dry better than stacking and stickering them?  They would definitely get more air flow.  it has been raining every day in Georgia and humidity is sky high.

Yes, but you have to have a lot of wall space to do that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flatrock58

WDH.  I have a 40 x 60 shed I just built.  I could stand up the boards along the side for a week or so and then maybe they would be dry enough to stack and sticker.  If I can get the plumbing done this week and get the slab poured, then maybe I will have power to run fans next month.  Seems like I got a lot more done in a day when I was working for a living!
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Kbeitz

Make sure you flip your boards every day I you stand them up.
If you don't they will have a bow in them.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

The nice thing about pine is that it likes to dry fast, the faster the better.  Generally, I'll only put the big fans on a stack for a couple weeks, sometimes only a week, and it's past the danger zone, depending on how hot it is. 

I've never done the leaning trick, but I would be worried about them bowing too much while drying to be able to fix later by stickers.
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!