iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tung oil, how long does it last on the shelf?

Started by Crusarius, July 02, 2017, 12:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I managed to find a small container of tung oil we are using to refinish the wooden chairs on the deck. We are running a little low. I was wondering how long it lasts sitting on the shelf cause I may want to just get a large container of it since I am really liking the finish.

Anybody have any idea?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Google seems to indicate that pure tung oil, not polymerized, with no dryers added, will keep in sealed can for several years...

Of course much of what is called "tung oil finish" has little or no true tung oil and plenty of other oils and varnishes and driers. So be sure of what you've got...

Herb

Den-Den

My experience is with pure tung oil.  Repeated opening the container results in a little loss over a period of a year or two but not a big issue.  I don't open the can often as I pour off about a pint each time to thin which gets stored in a small container.  A gallon goes a long way for what I do with it.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Don P

Keep the air out of the can by filling it with clean pebbles, crush the sides of a square can, etc. Something to keep the can topped off.

btulloh

x2 what Don P said.  Anything to keep the air at a minimum in the can.

I also put a little shielding gas from the mig welder in the can to replace the air.  The gas is heavier than air so it will push the air out.  Easier if your welder has a PURGE setting on the speed control.  It's pretty much the same as using those little cans of Bloxygen they sell for the same purpose.
HM126

Crusarius

Larry

I've done the mig argon gas trick. 

Not tung oil, but Waterlox will gel in the can quite fast if there is room for air.  Since its so expensive I buy a gallon at a time from whoever is cheapest at the time.  Next step is to stop by Sherwin Williams to buy some empty quart cans.  Seems like they are a couple of bucks.  That way I only open one can while I'm using it and the other cans will keep forever if full.

I heard a new trick from a nationally known woodworker.  Put water in the can as you use the product. :o :o  Oil and water doesn't mix with the oil staying on top.  Haven't tried it myself so try it at your own risk.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!