iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl bar interchangability

Started by PNWRusty, June 30, 2017, 10:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWRusty

Does anyone know if I can swap the original bars, chains and drive sprockets between my 026 and MS 261 C-M (as long as I don't mix/match the different components)?

On a related note, Stihl lists two different Rollomatic E bars even though they have the same length, pitch and gauge as well as the same number of sprocket teeth on the tip. What is the difference between these two 18" bars?

3005 008 4717
3003 008 6817

sawguy21

The bars, chains and sprockets are interchangeable between the 026 and MS261 but if the old ones are worn replace them. The 3005 008 4717 is a 68 drive link bar used on the MS250 which has a slightly different mount than your MS261.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PNWRusty

Thanks for that!

I think I'll compare the cutting performance of both powerheads with the same bar/chain combo just to make it fair. Oh, and also figure out if I like the 3/8" or .325 setup better.

Duane(Pa)

The 261 will come out on top once it is broken in. I bought mine with an 18" 3/8 setup. It was quite a dog at first. Then it really came alive as it broke in. Chain size seems to be a coin toss for speed. I think the .325 is a little smoother if that's even a word...

PNWRusty

Quote from: Duane(Pa) on July 03, 2017, 10:32:29 AM
The 261 will come out on top once it is broken in.

I think you're right about that. I only have 3 tanks of fuel through the 261 C-M and it already feels quite a bit more powerful (and it was a real dog on the first tank or two). But the real difference will be more apparent when I use the same bar/chain on both of them and I run a few more tanks of fuel through the 261. My 026 seemed to hit peak performance after 80 or 100 tanks which took me a few years to achieve. And it hasn't fallen off much, if any, 20 years later.

Now I need to choose who to believe. The "experts" who claim EPA regs choke the saw's performance so much it's necessary to move to an engine 10cc's bigger just to get the power it should have or what my own senses tell me, that this modern saw is actually considerably MORE powerful than my 20 year old 026 ever was. I don't think a difference this noticeable can be explained by the fact that the cylinder is bored 0.7mm wider!

HolmenTree

I have 12 tanks through my NE 261CM now and it really performs with the .325 23RS.

This new 2016/2017 CM technology I'm  very impressed with so far. Still haven't had any hot weather in the upper 80's F yet. Got up to 80F today.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!