iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belshey Trailer

Started by Autocar, June 30, 2017, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Monday morning I left with the tri axle and my 15 ton Belshey equipment trailer and moved my skidder to my next job. Wednesday I left with the truck and trailer with my bobcat went to a sawmill got a load of logs went to the delivery point unloaded and went about fifty yards and hear a crazy noise. Walked around the trailer and one set of tandems is cocked side ways. I unload the bobcat and pickup the side of the trailer and get the wheels out from under it. The weld on the spindle broke and it pulled out of the tube. Looking it over it looked like the weld ran almost three quarters away around and then it got off to the side and laid the bead on the tube only. Just put new brakes on it a week ago and they were trashed by the drum. I wasn't upset at all I just thanked the
Lord that it didn't happen when I was running 55 with the skidder . Talk about a disaster scares me to think about it. Now I wonder if the other axle and the other end that did break are the same way. The only way to see for sure is tear the breaks all the way down to the backer plate and then you can see the tube and spindle. Not looking forward to any tearing apart, for the time being I plan on moving the bobcat with a loaner trailer and paying someone to move the skidder. Seems like this year I spend more then I bring in  ::).
Bill

mills

You know, for the most part I believe you make your own luck. But when you're dealing with something that critical, something that can not be inspected during a normal walk around, but has the possibility taking your life, or even worse, someone else's, you have give credit to divine intervention.

Thank you Lord for watching out for Autocar. I would sorely miss his posts.  teeter_totter

GRANITEstateMP

Autocar, me and a buddy went to visit one of his buddy's, a farmer friend.  He was working on an equipment trailer.  Seems he got sick of bending down to work on the brakes, so he grabbed his backhoe, and flipped the trailer onto it's deck!  the brakes and bearings were much easier to work on that way!  His wasn't the prettiest trailer, so this might not be an option, but maybe it'll make the job a little easier???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Autocar

I thought about flipping it over but today I got the tandem pulled off the other side removed the backing plates. Monday I will heat the nuts on the U bolts and maybe there come off . Then I will run the axle down to Franchtown and see what they say. I may have to hunt up some help to get the axle out from under the springs and in the back of the pickup. I looked at a twenty ton trailer on Friday but with all the rain here and not working other things need to be looked at before another trailer.
Bill

mike_belben

Ill be flipping a trailer pretty soon.  Blew 5 of 8 tires on a haul from mass to TN, and a leaf spring.  Its a multimax style 8 leaf setup that had just a little too much wear in all the pivot bolts and eyelets.. Allowing the tires to wander around and scrub themselves to death. 

My last 12 miles was idling down the road on 2 rims.  Passed a sherrif doing radar in a parking lot.  Most awkward 5 minutes of my life.
Praise The Lord

NWP

Quote from: Autocar on July 08, 2017, 04:36:32 PM
I thought about flipping it over but today I got the tandem pulled off the other side removed the backing plates. Monday I will heat the nuts on the U bolts and maybe there come off . Then I will run the axle down to Franchtown and see what they say. I may have to hunt up some help to get the axle out from under the springs and in the back of the pickup. I looked at a twenty ton trailer on Friday but with all the rain here and not working other things need to be looked at before another trailer.

I'd just torch the U bolts and put on new. The price of new bolts is well worth the time you'll save.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

BargeMonkey

We stay on top of our trailers pretty hard with maintenance and occasionally still get suprised. The salt destroys them up here, in about 5yrs you can see signs of the rot, then its a perpetual thing with bushings, wiring harnesses, decks, occasionally an axle tube. Re-use of u-bolts isnt worth the headache unless they are mint.

Autocar

I heated one side of the U bolt and was able to turn it but didn't take long for me to say the H with that idea. Got my high speed cutter and cut all four of them off. Got the axle out from under it then took another two hours to get the backer plate off the other side. Ran it down to Frenchtown and showed it to the owner of the trailer place he wasn't sure what happened . I feel it was a cold weld and that's why it failed. But ordered a new axle and not sure when it will be delivered to my place U bolts ect. I don't know why I want to get it fixed because we got another 2 1/2 inches of rain on my job last night and today. 
Bill

Crusarius

Just fyi when you are putting it together. U-bolts stretch. you will need to re toque them after initial install.

I am sure you already know this but still worth mentioning.

Autocar

Nope didn't know that , but makes sence !
Bill

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Crusarius on July 10, 2017, 03:23:34 PM
Just fyi when you are putting it together. U-bolts stretch. you will need to re toque them after initial install.

I am sure you already know this but still worth mentioning.

This is why they always suggest to replace U-bolts rather than re-use them as well.

Autocar

Finished getting all my brake parts today plus a new 225/75 R17.5 16 ply tire. By 3:30 I had to walk away from the ######## because I was about to snap ! The biggest air hammer drill I could locate I finaley got the lug nuts off but the back inside tire and rim was rusted or something to the brake drum and bearing housing. I made a twenty ton press and just when I was about to get a section of pipe to help me jack the twenty ton jack it broke lose. The dang drum was so heavy that I couldn't lift it up to set it on the spindle so I made a ramp and rolled it up then  slide it onto the spindle. Started putting on the inside nut against the bearing and it seemed to bind up on the brake shoes. Got to looking around and it looks like the backer plate on the brake assembly is sprung. So I threw the towel in for today maybe tomarrow it will fall into place at least my patience in the morning will be better  ;).
Bill

mike_belben

Definately sounds aggravating.  Hang in there
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Yup, sounds like a Monday to me! :(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Autocar

I looked at some timber this morning and got a late start ,but things went better today just have to wire the brakes back up . I think I have the shoes adjusted pretty close, and screw the dust cap back on the end of the axle . Thanks for all the replys it is nice to hear other storys that your days don't go so good eather at times.
Bill

mike_belben

Well if it makes you feel better then.. 

On the few days i dont break something i burn enough fuel and leak enough oil to make logging completely pointless. Then do it again tomorrow.
Praise The Lord

Autocar

I know where your coming from  ;D  ;D  ;D.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!