iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

T98 Transmission Rebuild

Started by uler3161, June 30, 2017, 12:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uler3161

I see there are a lot of posts about skidders with the T98 transmission and L2 reverse box. I have a Champ CB40 forklift with the same kind of transmission and it needs a rebuild. Local transmission shop wouldn't even talk to me about it since it wasn't in a car. I thought a T98 was a fairly common transmission in pickups back in the day, but he didn't seem to care. So, I'm going to try to do this myself. Looks pretty simple. I just need to find parts.

The transmission case says it's a T98-1V and the reverser is L2-1. I've read about the case saying T98-1P, but not a 1V. Not really sure what the difference is.

Could anyone help me out with some info on this thing? And hopefully a place I can buy a rebuild kit for both the transmission and reverser? I know novak makes rebuild kits for the T98s behind Jeep/Ford/International vehicles, but I'm not sure this is the same and it still doesn't address the reverser.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

krusty

I am no expert on the machine specific vs truck specific ones, but once you get it apart you should be able to get any needed bearings and seals from a reputable bearing shop. Chances are if you actually need any new "teeth" you will be the one to hunt them down anyways. Unless things have exploded inside, they will be readily identifiable.

K

D2 Cody

The older ditch witch trenchers used a t98. I just rebuilt the one in our r65. Ditch witch could get most parts but I'll look and let you know our other online supplier.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

uler3161

Thanks for the help guys.

I went to the local napa store and they weren't much help either. So, I bit the bullet and started tearing it apart. There was a grenaded bearing in the L2 box. I cleaned up all the gears. I think they are ok, but I didn't notice any part numbers. As for the bearing, it's long gone so there won't be any numbers to find. It's the needle bearing that the transmission output shaft rides on (inside the L2 output shaft). And all the other bearings look like garbage. Transmission itself doesn't look great, but I haven't tore into it yet.

Dan

bushmechanic

Pop up some pic's and I'm sure somebody will point you in the right direction! The T98 is a Borg Warner transmission if you were to google it.

uler3161

I have done quite a bit of googling. Easy to find info on the ford/jeep/international stuff, but outside of that it's a bit confusing. I thought about just ordering a ford rebuild kit and see what that gets me.

The real confusing thing is the L2. I can't find anything on it. And it's probably in worse shape than the transmission.

Dan

bushmechanic

Yes you can get what you need for the transmission by disassembly and measurements. The reverse box is a different story. Why don't you check with Aftermarket Parts they have a lot of stuff for forestry. The same box's are found in the international S7 skidders.

uler3161

Quote from: bushmechanic on June 30, 2017, 08:48:50 PM
Yes you can get what you need for the transmission by disassembly and measurements. The reverse box is a different story. Why don't you check with Aftermarket Parts they have a lot of stuff for forestry. The same box's are found in the international S7 skidders.

I'll check them out. Thanks.

Dan

tantoy

does it have a torque converter in front of it?
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

uler3161

Dan

uler3161

I found this: http://www.numeralkod.com/cross/archivemanuals/warner/automotive%20and%20truck%20transmissions.pdf

On page 24 of that PDF seems to be what I'm looking for. A little hard to read some of the part numbers, but I believe I have them figured out and will do some research on where to get them.

One thing I'm not sure about is the input shaft itself. I think it's too messed up considering a bearing rides inside of it to support the end of the transmission input shaft. I don't see the part number in the pdf I found though. I did find this: http://www.mixerandplantparts.com/Borg-Warner-L2-16B-Input-Shaft-p/l216b.htm, but not yet sure if that's correct.

Dan

coxy

some of the older tj skidders had the same thing in them  if you could get a hold forum member crazy for saws he just rebuilt the same 2 things your talking about but after market parts should have every thing you need  if I remember right tj had trouble with them and some of the newer t98 had a little heavyer case same with the reverser maybe that's what the other letter stands for  :-\ 

crazy4saws

My C4B reverse is done in the transfer case so I'm not sure about the reverser your talking about but the t98 itself I've worked on. Rebuilt mine twice as the first time I assemblies it in a t18 case not the t98 case.

The input shafts vary. I have several t98 transmissions and about 3 different styles of input shafts for them. I bought the kit from Novak. It was ok, more $$ than it was worth.

I went to several salvage yards and hit up coxys TJ friend while I was in New York to gather all the parts I needed. In the end I shelled out $259 For the correct input shaft from davco, Farmington, maine. They have alot of parts but your gonna pay.

Looking back it would have been cheaper to put in a newer transmission or something more common. These guys are right, its going to take your own time to hunt down parts.

uler3161

This reverser sits between transmission and bellhousing. The transmission input shaft I think is fine. I looked again at the reverser input shaft and I think I'm going to try cleaning it up and using it. I suppose another alternative would be to have it bored out and a bushing installed.

Other than the shaft, I believe I have all the parts ordered. Pretty hard to find the reverser stuff, but I did. Guess we'll see if they are correct when they get here.

Found a T98 ford rebuild on ebay for a lot cheaper than the Novak kit, so I went with that.

Dan

Neilo

The timberjack part numbers for the L2 reverser input shafts are:
403318 for the Ford industrial engines.
403229 for the Detroit

The bearing in it is 403258

Try Aftermarket Parts for them.

coxy

Quote from: crazy4saws on July 01, 2017, 09:40:52 AM
My C4B reverse is done in the transfer case so I'm not sure about the reverser your talking about but the t98 itself I've worked on. Rebuilt mine twice as the first time I assemblies it in a t18 case not the t98 case.

The input shafts vary. I have several t98 transmissions and about 3 different styles of input shafts for them. I bought the kit from Novak. It was ok, more $$ than it was worth.

I went to several salvage yards and hit up coxys TJ friend while I was in New York to gather all the parts I needed. In the end I shelled out $259 For the correct input shaft from davco, Farmington, maine. They have alot of parts but your gonna pay.

Looking back it would have been cheaper to put in a newer transmission or something more common. These guys are right, its going to take your own time to hunt down parts.
are you pulling wood with it yet  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!