The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Log dog project for Peterson WPF, quick comments solicited  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
Re: Log dog project for Peterson WPF, quick comments solicited
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 06:11:22 pm »
You can do that, but it's hard work with a larger log. It does give you one full live edge slab from each log if you have a use for them.

If you have problems securing the bottom slab for the last couple of boards, just put it aside. Then when you are 1/2 way through the next log, and have a good flat surface, with a step left on the right, grab the earlier remnants and sit them on top. Because you now have a flat board, sitting on a flat log, with a step on the side, should stay in place. Lift the mill back up a couple of inches, and recover those last couple of boards. You end up back where you where with the mill, and ready to carry on with that log.

And yes the blades can throw debris. Have any bystanders behind you, and have your off loader stacking boards on the side away from the blade. Any debris are most likely to go in an arc straight down the line, around to maybe 90deg on the blade side. Don't let folks stand there.

I've been clobbered once by a fist sized knot that had been cut free on a previous cut. The blade managed to pick it up, it bounced around the frame and flew out the back, directly into my kneecap. Luckily I had saw chaps on, so no damage, just a few select words I can't repeat here. So keep an eye out for those loose missiles as you are cutting, and if you see something like that, knock it off the log before the next board.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline plantman

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 05:20:25 pm »
I'm going to watch the owner of a D&L 1020 mill some wood tomorrow. Think I'll take a movie clip and post it here. There aren't enough homemade movies to give people unbiased opinions, all the good, bad, and ugly.

Offline MbfVA

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:14 pm »
X2 Plantman

Too many sales videos, not enough of end user people using the things, leaving in the mistakes.  I'll look forward to seeing your D & L video. A new guy on here who lives in Kentucky has just bought one, cannot recall his handle at the moment.   I'll try to make sure he sees it when you post.
www.ordinary.com (really)
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?