iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Controlling red cedar with hack and squirt?

Started by bgd, June 29, 2017, 04:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgd

Can I kill cedar trees with the hack and squirt method. They are infesting my oak timber. What would be the best herbicide?

DDW_OR

what will kill cedar will also kill oak
my 2 cents
"let the machines do the work"

bgd

I would only hack and squirt the cedar trees not the oak. I would hack the cedar on the trunk and spray a herbicide in the wound. This shouldn't hurt the oaks. I have used this method to kill alianthus trees, but I don't know if it will work on cedar.

D2 Cody

When we saw pasture cedar we cut at ground level just high enough to keep the chain out of the dirt and below any branches so all you have left is a short inch or two stump only, then spray stump with tordon. Works great for us and usually never any regrowth. I have heard several people say as long as you cut cedar low without any branches left on the stump it will not grow back. True or not I don't know because I always like to treat stump so I know I only have to cut the same tree one time. Hope this helps.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

bgd

That is good information. I think that will definitely kill the cedar trees. I have so many of them and some of them are 30 feet tall. I don't have the time now to cut them all down. I was thinking if I could kill them at least they would stop starving the oaks for water. The small ones I will cut down or nip off with the loppers.
Thanks

TKehl

Never sprayed a Cedar.  If cut within about 3" of the ground and no remaining branches, it's dead.  One in a few hundred maybe survive.  Good enough for me.   ;D

BGD, where are you located?  Some parts of the country have a market for ERC.  Not great, but you may be able to at least get a lot of the removal work done free in exchange for the wood. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bgd

I am in arkansas. All they want here are oak and walnut. Cedar are just weeds.

TKehl

There is a guy near Branson advertising he is looking for cedar to cut on shares.  Several places in MO buy it.  Like I said, you may not get paid, but you can probably get a lot of it cut and removed for no charge, and maybe even get paid.  All for doing less work.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bgd

Thanks, I will call them and see if they are interested.

mike_belben

Cedar is the number one wood for cordwood construction which is gaining as more and more people go poor and revolt from the stickframe mcmansion mortgage. 

If you advertise on cordwood sites or craigslist using the terms "cordwood, stackwall, cob, strawbale, earthship,  rocket mass heater and RMH" it will move.  Some hippy will come cut the stuff for their cordwood cabin.   Any diameter, any grade will work.  You could potentially make some $$ on it. 
Praise The Lord

Cedarman

There is no need to spray a cut cedar as long as you cut below the bottom live limb.  You can cut a cedar off at 6' and if there are no live limbs , it is dead. 
There are markets for every size cedar if you care to find them and work out the shipping.
At times we get orders for 1" saplings 8 to 10' tall with the top 1' or so of greenery left on.
We sell lots of 2", 3" and 4" poles to furniture makers.  Some want them peeled, some with bark on.  Some want them 2 years old so that bark slips off easy.
There is a fellow in Ms that wants thousands of 3 5/8" x 3 5/8" x 7',8' and 9' long.  Takes a 5" log to saw them.
4" x 4" x 8' brings $14.00 delivered to fencing companies in Mo.  Takes a 6" log to make.
They also want 5" to 6" wide 3/4" x 6' long for pickets.  Will buy thousands and are regular buyers.
Takes 7" to 9" logs.  We ship to all states from our mill in Indiana.
That said, we grind cedars off of thousands of acres in Ok to make mulch.  So we grind a lot of cedar that could be made into higher value products.  We do not have the people nor the ambition to salvage small cedars in Ok.
Cutting them off pastures and among hardwoods is understandable.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

shortlogger

Western Arkansas has plenty of cedar markets .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!