iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Killing trees with herbicides?

Started by Splaker, June 29, 2017, 07:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

If you hack and squirt, and if you confine the chemical to the hack (frill), and not slop the chemical on the ground, the chemical will only affect the plant that was hacked and squirted.  There is a possibility that the target plant has root grafted with a plant that you want to keep, and the graft will let the chemical into the plant that you want to save and kill it too, but I have found that that (Tom) is a very infrequent occurrence.  So infrequent that I would not worry about it.  Essentially confine the chemical to the target plant and you will be fine.  If you cut the target plants down, you can spray the outer rim of the cut stump with the chemical, being careful to keep the chemical on the circumference of the cut stump and not slop it all over the ground around it, and you will be OK.  This applies to soil active herbicides like Tordon. 

Herbicides like round-up and garlon are not soil active, so you do not have to be quite as careful.  The good thing about tordon is the it is very highly effective, and with bit of care in application, it will do a great job.  Just confine the chemical to the target hack or the outer edges of a cut stump and you will be OK.  You only need to spray the outer rim of a cut stump because that is where the cambium is, and that is what you want to target, not the wood in the middle of the stump because it will not take up the chemical anyway.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Splaker

Quote from: PA_Walnut on September 06, 2017, 06:07:11 AM
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or argumentative, but just curious as why not just cut them down?

You guys have lilacs or box alders in the US? If you do cut one down and see what you have 3 months later...

I got lilacs coming up through my interlock pavers around my pool driveway, everywhere.. box alders growing along my neighbours fenceline.. don't know what side they are on now.. I am tryign to save thousands of dollars in repairs...

Claybraker

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 06, 2017, 01:20:54 PM
I can get tordon for 20.00 and change for a quart.  About how many beech trees that are 6 inches or so in diameter willa quart kill.  I downloaded the spec. Sheet but dont see the recipe for hack and squirt like i see people talking about.  Just a ball park figure if you please.   Banjo
I use a cordless drill, and try for 1 ml for every 2" dbh. probably close to 300 6" trees it helps to transfer it to a quart spray bottle.  The goofy applicator might be ok for treating cut stumps but I don't like it.

Banjo picker

Claybraker ,Thanks for the reply.   I think you are saying a 6 inch tree would need 3 ml.  Are you putting that 3 ml. in one hole or 3 different holes around the tree.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Claybraker

6" tree I make 2 or 3 holes. Sorta depends on my mood. I've got some syringes I use to measure epoxy to get a good idea of just how much is a ml.

Splaker

Quote from: Claybraker on September 06, 2017, 10:03:32 PM
6" tree I make 2 or 3 holes. Sorta depends on my mood. I've got some syringes I use to measure epoxy to get a good idea of just how much is a ml.

How deep are you drilling into the tree, Claybraker?  Just past the bark and deep enough to hit the cambrian?  Also, why not "hack n squirt"?   

Would still like to hear from folks about my question on the effects of Tordon on the surroung plants and soil and whether plantings can be made after killing a tree in the vicinity of the treated tree.

Thanks

Claybraker

As shallow as I can to get a pocket that will hold 1 ml.  The problem I had with hack n squirt was getting a full ml where it needs to be without having most of it dribble down the bark.  Never really noticed it kills surrounding vegetation.

Texas Ranger

I ran a herbicide crew for a number of years and never saw any additional plants effected.  If they root graft, all bets off.  We used hypo hatches so the cuts and fluid amounts were uniform.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Splaker

Hey guys, what temps should this be stored at or does it matter?  i got it in a shed or can put in the garage but both locations get cold... garage can go below freezing in dead of winter and the shed several degrees below...

Claybraker

Tordon RTU is about 73%  ethylene glycol. That's the "other ingredient" on the label.

Splaker

Quote from: Claybraker on October 27, 2017, 11:41:47 AM
Tordon RTU is about 73%  ethylene glycol. That's the "other ingredient" on the label.

Pardon my ignorance - does this make it ok to store in cold temps and in places where temps are highly variable ?

ely

Thank You Sponsors!