The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Sawmill Project  (Read 850 times)

Offline williamgriffin

Sawmill Project
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:45:05 pm »
I'm currently an intern at a vertically integrated REIT in Alabama. For the next 5 weeks I'll be working out of the procurement office, and I have to complete some type of project before the end of my time.

Inititally I was just going to cruise a tract and report my results, but I felt that with all of the parts of the company I have access to (sawmill, company land, etc.) that I could do a bit better than that.

I know it is probably hard to come up with something without knowing the exact situation, but any general thoughts on a project that'd be useful?

Thanks!

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
Re: Sawmill Project
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:27:58 am »
Looking for a place to lower costs or increase revenue is a great way to move from intern to employee. 

Increase efficiency in ____.  Identify a market for waste or a way to profitably add value to existing products. 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:20 pm »
Can't go wrong with TKehl's advice.  (Happy birthday by the way, have a cookie!)

Another thing might be to identify opportunities that are waiting on some change in market/technology/whatever to become profitable.  If, for example, the POTUS is able to reduce the regulatory burden on mills, how might that free up the mill to expand into new processes or markets?  Or the softwoods issue with Canada, etc.

I'm not suggesting you get too abstract.  Just postulate an "If A then B" sort of scenario, and determine if it would be profitable to be the first one to be harvesting or selling B.
Woodland Mills HM130

Offline sandyo

• I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 03:52:50 pm »
How are you coming along with your project ?