iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To cut or not to cut - Redwood (Jersey)

Started by OffGrid973, June 28, 2017, 06:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

So my tree guy is looking to drop this off...worth the trouble? How do you guys fare with redwood looking like something out of the swamps of Florida?

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

btulloh

ERC - Eastern Red Cedar.  Typical looking (except the ones MagicMan gets to saw).

Good stuff for lots of things.  That one's heavily segmented with a rotten center, so lumber will be just a little less than perfect.  You should saw it just to see what you get.  Easy sawing.  You could saw some wide slabs with lots of "character".
HM126

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

btulloh

I'd check for metal though.  That one came from a yard or a fence row.
HM126

jaygtree

i'd slab out that hole in your first pic and make a table and inlet a glass insert to cover the hole. just my first thought.  jg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

Ianab

I'd mess with it for sure.

You are going to get some "character" boards and a bit of waste, but I can see some table tops in there and plenty of random boards with interesting figure etc.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OffGrid973

Thanks guys, just needed a few positive comments to convince.  Hopefully pics this this weekend if the weather holds up.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Hewer of Wood

Considering the apparent size and that a tree guy is removing it, I'd guess that it's a Dawn Redwood. I sawed one once and it was one of the most beautiful woods I've seen. The heartwood is more orange than reddish/purple like red cedar is. Very light weight and quite soft also. The slabs seemed to air dry fairly well.
   I think it's definitely worth sawing, especially if you could get some live edge pieces.
   Not sure if it has durability like cedar and coastal redwood, but with as pretty as the stuff is, I'd plan inside projects for the lumber.
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

opticsguy

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

kelLOGg

Quote from: btulloh on June 28, 2017, 06:39:48 PM
ERC - Eastern Red Cedar.  Typical looking (except the ones MagicMan gets to saw).

:D :D You said it!! I'm jealous of MM's ERC. I need to replace my deteriorating "treated " deck but the cedar I have gotten lately has in-grown bark and/or heart rot. Stoll waiting for the cedar gods to smile upon me. ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

moodnacreek

Kinda  looks like dawn red wood.  Very soft wood maybe good for carving. I saw all I can get.

Dieseltim

It should look kinda like this once you get it live edge slabbed. This is Eastern red cedar. Seems most guys around here want it in 8/4.

Thank You Sponsors!