iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why and what insurance should a logger on my property have?

Started by username, June 28, 2017, 05:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

username

Hello and good afternoon,

I am considering hiring a logger to cut maybe 300-400 Pine trees on my property in Texas, near Houston.

It is a small acreage property, about 12 acres with about 300-400 mature Pine trees to cut. I thought there were more the first time I posted, but

I would have liked to wait longer, and maybe bid out the job and hire a forester, but it seems that the tract is not that big and the saw mills are not that close by.

To add to that, my spouse and her parents are keen to cut the trees, don't ask me why, and do not pay attention to credentials, qualifications, equipment, insurance etc.

So, we have a logger who is ready to begin, and he has shown me evidence of a small amount of Commercial general liability, but no evidence of:

1) Auto liability
2) Workers Comp - This is NOT a mandatory requirement in Texas, i.e. the contractor does not have to have it by default.

Is this sufficient? Is there a need for higher Commercial general liability, and what is the need for auto liability or workers comp?

I do not want to complicate things if not needed, especially as the relatives are ready to begin and don't care about insurance etc.

What do you all feel, kind friends?

Thank you
username

Bert

So long as GL insurance is in place Id let the guy go at it as long as hes reputable. Auto/ WC is not your concern. 1 mil in GL is pretty standard. Auto and WC certificates of insurance come in to play more if hes a a sub for you.
Saw you tomorrow!

username

Thank you

He has 300,000 for each occurrence of GL, 100,000 damage to rented property, 300,000 personal and adv injury and 600,000 general aggregate

Not sure about how reputed he is, he seems new to the business. I wish I could shop around but the in laws...

coxy

what others have said  just don't let to many loads go out before you get a check or has he paid up front

Texas Ranger

Check with the company that issued the policy, one month policies can last years.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bert

Definitely a good point. Like car insurance, you can pay the premium, get the insurance card, and cancel and get a refund. Doesnt mean you have insurance, just a worthless piece of paper saying you do. I wouldnt put it past some people.  Good luck with the inlaws!
Saw you tomorrow!

coxy

most insurance co around here if you do that 1 time they will never pick you up next time you need it its getting harder to find a co that will do liability for logging I have mine through a co in Oklahoma go figure   

warren46

You can ask the logger to provide a certificate of insurance.  It does not cost him anything and that way you know the insurance has not been cancelled.

You can also ask to be designated an additional insured.  That way you can make a claim on his insurance if he does not want to make the claim himself.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

coxy

if your unshur if he has insurance just ask for the insurance co name and call them and ask

florida

I disagree that he doesn't need comp. If he has no comp and someone is injured they can and will come after you. Of course, liabilty and auto are a must. Check with your agent and see what he would recommend then make sure his agent sends you a certificate of Insurance listing all those policies and the amounts. $300,000 is a minimal policy and won't cover attorney fees if you need it.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Ron Scott

Most responsible loggers have and will provide proof of liability insurance and workman's comp. As a minimum,request a Certificate of Insurance from them and check the expiration date to insure that the insurances are current before you allow them access to any timber on your property.$1,000,000 liability is usually the minimum here.

Also insure that you are paid fair market value for the timber "before cutting". 

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!