iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark ID in Pennsylvania

Started by jtobrien910, June 27, 2017, 07:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtobrien910

I'm pulling some hand hewn mortise and tenon beams out of a collapsed barn and I'm trying to identify what they are. I'd rip one to get a look at the grain but I don't actually own them yet. I found some bark remaining on a couple of them. If anybody can tell me what I've got by looking at 100+ year old bark I'd really appreciate it.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/46298/IMG_0765.JPG?easyrotate_cache=1498606218[/img]

Texas Ranger

yellow poplar, tulip tree, liriodendron tulipifloa, or spelled some what like that,  Then again, maybe not.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Sorry TR, but I believe it to be hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

I'd guess a red oak from up high in the tree. I'm thinking it looks like a scarlet just under the first crotch.

Greyhound

DelawhereJoe

Any chance of getting any pictures of the wood, doesn't have to be ripped, just not painted.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jtobrien910

Thanks for all the input! Here's a couple shots of the wood itself. All the beams appear to be similar but it's entirely possible whoever built it was just chopping down the closest tree. I know that's what I would do.

jtobrien910

I'm thinking the Hickory votes might be on to something. As far as it being red oak from high up I'm not so sure. The growth out here is dense so we get more up then out. These beams are pretty heavy 10x10's 15-20 ft long. No idea how I'm actually going to transport these beasts or what I'll actually do with them but that's a problem for another day.

Texas Ranger

I with draw my tulip pople and go with Danny's hickory.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Greyhound

jtobrien910

Awesome!! Thanks so much everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!