iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mechanics

Started by Bert, June 27, 2017, 04:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Today my truck died in a shopping center parking lot. Everything was fine when I started the day, but once I shut it off at the store it was dead. Lights worked, windows, radio etc but no click or anything when i turned the key.
   I was in good clothes for a meeting I had earlier in the day so I was trying to stay clean and check the usual suspects... battery.. rap the starter with a hammer etc. Finally gave up and figured it was the chip key or some type of ECM problem or something. I called a mechanic a passerby gave me the number for. I was skeptical but out of options.
  Let me tell you, this guy rolled in. Never tried to start the truck and went right to with a scan tool and some other electrical testers. In 5 minutes he said your starters gone. I said... really? Never had one go instantly. He said... buddy I dont guess at fixes I diagnose the problem. An hr later he had the starter changed in a parking lot on a 2010 dodge ram and charged me $100 bucks labor. You cant beat that. Totally changed my opinion on calling for help. Especially on newish vehicles. If i had it at my house I would have figured it out eventually, but for $100 it wasnt even worth it. There is hope out there.
Saw you tomorrow!

coalsmok

Someone like that is worth the $100.  Amazing to me how much the computers in today's vehicles can tell you.
I work on industrial gas engines and have a decent mix of old tech(1930s) to some of the lastest stuff from cat. Had a guy used to the new stuff change everything but the plugs on a engine that was missing and over heating the catalyst. When I came and fixed it in 10min after he was at it all night he got mad. It didn't tell him what was wrong, why didn't the company upgrade to a newer system. 🙄

Ianab

The scan tool is pretty much vital to fault find a new vehicle. It can read all sorts of measurements that the computer is already making around the vehicle, and what it's trying to do.

Mechanic would have been able to read off the screen that the immobiliser had deactivated, the battery voltage was good, and that power was being sent to the starter solenoid. Yet the starter wasn't spinning. Ergo, 99% it's the starter motor that's dead.

On another bright note, it only took an hour to swap it out. Swapping the alternator on my Toyota is a 4 hour job  :( ::) Downside of cramming a SUV engine into a hatchback I guess.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

It's not a fun job on a V-6 Ranger either and I hope I don't have to change the serpentine belt on our 05 Ram ctd. You found a competent, honest mechanic, keep this boy happy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!