iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Power Head for Chainsaw Mill: Stihl 076, Ms880, or 090?

Started by jemmy, June 27, 2017, 03:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemmy

So I have been researching all the different types of chainsaws for milling. I've narrowed it down to these 3 Saws.

Now I have my pros and cons for all of these saw compared to one another.

076:
Pro's: lighter, cheaper investment, most reliable performance, torque, well rounded saw
Cons: Not as much power,
Questions: Will it have enough power to get through 56" of oak for 20ft?

Ms 880:
Pro's: Good power, no mixing of fuel and oil
Cons: Expensive, hard to find,
Questions: Whats the life span like? Does it run reliably?

090:
Pro's: most potential power,
Cons: doesn't always run right, frustrating engine performance, expensive, potential high $ overhaul. 
Questions: Do these saws constantly run into performance power? Whats the reliability?

Now I have to choose between one of these three saws. My favorite is the 076. I just need to know if it will get through big stuff effectively. A related question is how do I find OEM parts for these saws? I have not found a reliable resource and Stihl is weird about finding the parts... Feel free to express any problems/mistakes in my pro's and cons list! This is all just from research and not experience so any amount of wisdom is greatly appreciated!
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

Savannahdan

Any of those should do the job.  I like the 090 and that's primarily because I've seen more of those in action on a CSM and they just look mean.  I use a 3120XP and it does a fine job.  Sharp, sharp chain is really important which I figure you already know.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

jemmy

Savannahdan that's what I like most about the 090! They are bad mamma-jamma's when they work right. Do you know if they are finicky or like an old tractor and can fire up easily, take a beating in terms of work load, and not break down commonly? I've also given the 3120 a lot of thought. They are just tough to find for a good price IMO. And yes I am looking into the best chain sharpener, that might just be a new thread soon! haha
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes with a grin. - Grandpa Chuck

longtime lurker

If thinking about more then a couple of logs you might do better to look harder at the MS880 or 3120.

Nothing wrong with a 090, and ive killed more trees with an 076 then most will in a lifetime and itll do the job for ya... but they're all getting long in the tooth and finding one that's not half flogged to death will be difficult.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

shelby78

Ms 880:
Pro's: Good power, no mixing of fuel and oil

When did Stihl change 880's from 2 stroke to 4 stroke?

TKehl

Was wondering the same, but I've never been around an 880.  066 is the biggest I've got. 

Will say I'm a fan of the dual powerhead.  Like this:

http://timbergreenforestry.com/Sawmilling%20Big%20Logs%20With%20A%20Chain%20Sawmill.html

Jemmy, where are you located?  Helps to add it to your profile.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

sawguy21

The 880 is a 2 stroke like the rest and probably the best choice. The 090 is an absolute brute when running right but as mentioned it is long past it's prime, few dealers stock what parts are left. I would rule out the 076, too much maintenance required to keep it running due to vibration.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jemmy

I'm in Ohio. I accidently miss read about 088 haha, on a post they called it "gas" chainsaw, I just presumed it was so big that it didn't require a mix. But that was clearly incorrect... I think I'll try and get a decent 090, but I think my rankings are 090 if it runs right, an 076 if its in good shape (if that's even possible) or maybe stumble upon a correctly priced 880. I had a long in depth with a chainsaw rebuilder tonight that kind of swayed my view of things. Hopefully soon enough I'll have my powerhead! If you guys want to keep adding to info to chain that would be great, I am looking for all the wisdom possible!

shelby78

Dual saws are the way to go if you can get a helper and want speed. It does not make sense but having dual saws roughly speeds up cutting 5 times or so vs the 2 times you would think.

I could take one 660 with a 36 inch bar and cut a slab of rock hard honey locust in 25 mins. With dual 660's on a 72 bar it only takes about 4 mins. This was also wood that sat for 2 years but this gives you a idea of speed.

I run dual 660's with a cannon 72 inch bar. Even if you found dual 440's I would guess it would still be better than a single anything.

If your not a big lad trying to do wide slabs with a 090, 880, and a huge Alaskan attached to it is a bit of work. The dual saws adds a helper and dramatically drops the workload.

woodworker9

I agree with Shelby78.

I'm 53 years old now, and I'm 6'2, 275 lbs., and am still strong as an ox.  Not trying to brag here, but just lend some perspective.  20 years ago, I was 245 lbs. of iron.  Concrete work and hand tool woodworking my entire life.

If you're planning on slabbing up one log and being done with it, then I could understand wanting to keep the investment down.  However, if you want to do this sort of work frequently, you're in for a big surprise trying to push a CSM by yourself through 50" and wider logs all day long. 

I've done it and when I got the chance to see a dual head CSM operate, and saw how much easier it was, and faster......well, if I were you, I'd give it strong consideration.  Not always easy to find a good helper, but if you have one available, the difference in cutting time for slabs like this will more than pay for the helper.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

celliott

I'd go 880. Yes it's expensive, but good luck finding an 090 that's not priced nearly as much as a used 880, and in reasonable condition. Plus you know you can get all the parts for the 880, because they're still making it. It will be the most reliable and comfortable (if there's such a thing with these monster saws) to run. WHEN it breaks (chainsaw milling is hard on saws) you know you can order up parts at your Stihl dealer. It shouldn't be hard to find new, used, maybe, but I'd be leery of buying a used saw that big anyways, mostly because it was likely used on a mill!

If you are serious about big slabbing chainsaw milling, consider buying a new 880, or 3120. You're asking for reliability issues for something you want to run often with an older used saw IMO.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Brad_bb

I have an 090.  I would not call it finicky.  What you should know... if you buy one that hasn't been used in a long time(like mine) it will need some up front work.  I had to replace the carb (Stihl dealer did it), then we discovered there was a vacuum leak in the crank case so we had to re-gasket and new bushings (again by the Stihl mechanic).  An 090 doesn't automatically compensate for air temperature like the new ones do.  I learned that quickly when I tuned it in a warm shop and then went out in 14F weather to saw and it wouldn't make power.  I learned from that incident how to tune it.  Took me about an hour to understand how to adjust the low speed and then to pull the trigger and adjust the hi speed for max power.  Now that I am familiar with how to do it, it's fine.  I carry a screw driver to do the adjustment before I start milling or to tweak it while milling to get max power.   with a .404 rip chain from Granberg, it cuts a little bit more than a foot a minute.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!