iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the best way to sell crotches?

Started by Glenn1, June 26, 2017, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I have been able to pick up some 8/4 crotches of walnut and ash.  They are absolutely beautiful but I have not started to dry them other than keep them in an AC space.  Should I dry them in my dehumidification kiln as a whole unit or separate them into thinner widths.  I was thinking that selling that as 1/4" slices might work but I am unsure.  I don't want them turning into potato chips.  They average 10-14" wide and 18" in length.  I'm not even sure what woodworkers would use them for since then are not wide enough for draw fronts on a good size piece of furniture. 

If I was going to buy veneer today, many of them are 1/42" thick which I think is ridiculous so 1/4" sounds better.
I could use suggestions about the above statements.   

Photos will follow when I get back home later in the week. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Joey Grimes

I'm far from a expert on veneer but I think I remember reading veneers 1/4 thick will crack not sue on max thickness but I think 1/28"
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

low_48

1/4" thick hardwood is not veneer. It moves seasonally just like hardwood, not seasonally stable like veneer. Glue 1/4" hardwood to any manmade substrate, and the hardwood cracks when it shrinks for the winter. Have you ever heard of a 4-way veneer match?

Don P

My figured shorts end up at the farmers market as cutting boards. Maybe not the best or highest use but they seem to bring a smile when working in the kitchen over a piece of natures artwork.

Thank You Sponsors!