The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: A New Wood for me to sell  (Read 263 times)

Offline Glenn1

• Drying lumber one board at a time
    • GPS Hardwoods
A New Wood for me to sell
« on: June 26, 2017, 04:02:55 pm »
In a shipment of Walnut, I received three of these butt logs.  We determined that it is Sassafras although it must be on steroids as they are normally small trees.  These had slabs cut that were over 20" wide.  When dry, it was 1/2 the weight of walnut but the grain pattern is beautiful.

Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Offline bluthum

• Tick magnet.
Re: A New Wood for me to sell
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:33:35 pm »
Choice sassafras like that is an outstanding cabinet wood or for interior trim. Exterior for that matter as it can be fairly rot resistant [the heart wood].  I used to favor it for making canoe paddles if straight grained.

The tree is totally capable of getting to modest log size under good circumstances.

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:45:48 pm »
In the midwest it was used for split rails. Logs are easy in Appalachia, since you are around NC get up to Linville Falls parking lot there is a trail to the falls overlook, you'll see 20" sassafras straight as a pole. 

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:24:27 am »
Sass is on of our best sellers, and many carpeners get hooked on it once they use it.  It has a heavy grain pattern like oak but has a chatoyance that few other species have.  It may develop a very slight greenish tint when finished with oil, and is the number one wood of choice for porch furniture because of it's natural insect and rot resistance.  It's is perfect for Adironack style chairs, where many people dislike using ERC.  It's also easy to dry in 8/4.  About the only critter that will chew in it are the big black carpenter ants, (sometimes ambrosia beetles also), and it eventually causes heart rot which takes years to happen.  Before it rots away, it will develop beautiful heavy black streaks and is locally is known as "blackheart sassafras."

We get some pretty big trees around but 20" boards are extremely rare here.

I noticed that the wood in picture doesn't have the characteristic orange inner bark like the ones here.  It will also smell strongly of root beer or sassafras tea, when fresh cut. 
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns