iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flagging Tape with "Property Line"

Started by MapleNeil, June 26, 2017, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MapleNeil

Hi,
I once saw a forest that had property lines marked with red flagging tape (the narrow pvc kind, not the clear plastic tape) that said "Property Line" on the tape.  I can't seem to find this anywhere.  I want to get some to mark the boundaries of my woodlot.  Has anyone seen it for sale?
Thanks
Neil

DeerMeadowFarm

Ben Meadows has it. Just Google "Property line flagging tape" and you'll find a bunch.

BradMarks

Ben Meadows is pink glo.  If you are looking for red, it is on Arctic flagging, and carried by other forestry supply companies. Two former sponsors of this forum carry it.

timberking

Go ahead and paint the lines and be done with it. 

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: timberking on June 27, 2017, 09:10:38 AM
Go ahead and paint the lines and be done with it.
This is what I did. NRCS paid me $977 in cost share to mark my boundaries this way and besides my time it cost me the price of a paint brush. My friend's wife has an account at Sherwin Williams for her painting business and she got me a gallon of their messed up mixed oil-based paint. They tinted it bright red for her and gave it to her for free (but they only cost like $10 when they mis-mix them). We bought some signs as well so we spent more money but all said and done it was very inexpensive and the cost share more than paid for it.

MapleNeil

Thanks so much for the help, by searching for the brands you said I was able to find a place here in Canada that sold something I can use.

As for painting the line, do you mean putting paint on the trees?  In some cases the property line runs through bare rocky areas, I suppose I could paint the rock?  I'm not a surveyor though so I'm hesitant to do something so permanent.

timberking

If you can permanently mark the line do so.  Set a t- post if there are no trees.  Yes, paint the trees.  Flagging here in the south will not hold up.

John Mc

Quote from: timberking on June 29, 2017, 08:12:20 AM
If you can permanently mark the line do so.

It varies from state to state, but in a lot of places in the US, it's illegal to do so unless you are a licensed surveyor. Here in Vermont, a private individual can refresh marks, but not make new ones.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

The first time I marked mine I used flagging. I told the abutting property owners that I marked the line and to let me know If there were any places they questioned. The next year I painted the lines which is allowed in VT as John said. I didn't get any questions just thank yous. I find flagging doesn't last long. Red squirrels seem to love it, hunters pull it down even though the property is not posted in any way, and the weather is hard on it. Paint is good for a long time.

gg

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Maryland G-man

Flagging won't last long. Paint does better. Flagging is great for first locating the line - before painting - because you can move it as needed while correcting mistakes or fine tuning the line.

For best results use specialty paint formulated for marking boundary lines. Its much thicker than standard oil based and doesn't break down nearly as fast. 3-5 years service between refreshing. You can find it at any of the forestry supply websites.

To use it best (it's expensive), first scrape off loose bark with a draw knife, machete, etc to make a smooth surface on tight bark. Lay it on thick. Keeping the corners tucked tight makes a job professional and the square corners really stand out in the woods. Blobs of paint looks trashy and is the mark of someone not interested in details, and that makes me not trust the line as accurate. But I can be anal about some things.

Thank You Sponsors!