iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's for dinner?

Started by 4x4American, June 25, 2017, 07:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

21. Are you sure that it was burdock? Normally Italians like the stems on Artichokes and Cardoon and my memories of the same, along with dandelion greens and even mustard greens, are quite fond. I had an uncle that would swing in from Chicago with everything from snails to smelts and my aunt would make fresh pasta every day. She would send me out into the woods to gather mushrooms and sassafras root for tea. Good stuff!
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

21incher

Quote from: tule peak timber on September 26, 2017, 06:49:37 PM
21. Are you sure that it was burdock? Normally Italians like the stems on Artichokes and Cardoon and my memories of the same, along with dandelion greens and even mustard greens, are quite fond. I had an uncle that would swing in from Chicago with everything from snails to smelts and my aunt would make fresh pasta every day. She would send me out into the woods to gather mushrooms and sassafras root for tea. Good stuff!

Yup, we picked the nice green tender ones for her.  8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

Quote from: 4x4American on September 26, 2017, 06:46:19 PM
Got some fresh caught salmon from Lake Ontario my friend gave to me gonna fry it on the skillet, any suggestions as to what to put on it/best way to cook it?  Don't have much to work with here.  Last time I just tossed it in the skillet with some EVOO and made it less cold and that worked ok but kinda wanna make like a sammich outta it or somethin more fancier than just a salmon fillet.
4x4 we are having alder smoked salmon tonight using a dry salt method in lieu of brine. But if you are going to cook it in a skillet, we have sear ours in a mix of butter and EVOO, once sprinkled liberally with McCormick fish and chicken seasoning. Once nicely seared on both sides, toss in a bit of dry vermouth and cap a lid on the skillet for just long enough to finish steaming the salmon. It should still be pink inside and will finish cooking. You do NOT want to overcook. Cold the next day is great in a sandwich. Served hot with salad and rice...yum

tule peak timber

Quote from: 21incher on September 26, 2017, 06:55:23 PM
Quote from: tule peak timber on September 26, 2017, 06:49:37 PM

Yup, we picked the nice green tender ones for her.  8)
Good tip! We've been throwing away the fleshy stems. I know people make tea from this stuff, but I prefer martinis.

tule peak timber

21, We tried the fried stems and did some root fry's also . Very mild peanut flavor....

4x4American

Thanks for the advice Tule Peak..Wish I had seen it before I messed it up lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Bert

QuoteThanks for the advice Tule Peak..Wish I had seen it before I messed it up

Uh oh.... beer and phosphates again.  8)
Saw you tomorrow!

tule peak timber

Eggplant tonight !

tule peak timber

tule peak timber

Braised  goat and spicy papas for the OT crew on Saturday...

sawguy21

Quote from: tule peak timber on October 01, 2017, 05:42:28 PM
Eggplant tonight !

I have tried it and thought what's the point? There is no flavor I can detect.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tule peak timber

Which is why we grow our own eggplant. You are absolutely right in reference to store bought veggies in general.

tule peak timber

Devilish angel hair.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

You might not be a good woodworker, but you eat well.  NOT  :D :D :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

The first of our sauce pickings. San Marzano and Brandywine tomatoes. About 20-30 colanders more to go !

luvmexfood

Tonight was thick pork chops, gravy, rolls, home canned green beans and instant mashed potatoes. All cooked  in the motel room with an electric skillet and microwave. Still beats eating out.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Grizzly

Quote from: luvmexfood on October 26, 2017, 08:02:27 PM
Still beats eating out.

Sounds like a good meal, but it don't take much to beat eating out. Your meal sounds way, way above bought grub.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Well, its a batch night here, Christy on her way to Dallas for a Christmas shoe box project with area churches, this leaves me home alone for a few days, tonight its fried okra, reheated rotisserie (Walmart), for the purest I know, but for five bucks they're pretty good, and a baked vidalia, with iced tea, hoping all you guys have a great week ahead,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Another round of single eats, and this one is for the books,,It's an egg, broccoli, bacon with a mix of cheddar and mozzarella pie, 

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Grizzly

Quote from: drobertson on December 05, 2017, 07:38:44 PM
Another round of single eats, and this one is for the books,,It's an egg, broccoli, bacon with a mix of cheddar and mozzarella pie, 

I want to know more about this. How much of what? That looks good and more my style.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

MbfVA

I think you're blurring the line between pizza and Quiche.   I like it!

Pizza and Quish have one thing in common, love series spelling don't worry, can't even get the criticism right Canci, I give up.

Starting over.  pizza and Quish have one big thing in common: you can put a lot of things on/in them and the name remains the same.   I sometimes put 15+ ingredients in my morning shakes, the vita mix doesn't care.  Latest is chia seeds, very high in fiber, sold by Costco, but don't do it if you have  diverticulosis.

I have to ask myself why I'm still using Siri, and the answer always is my thumbs are even more incompetent.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Ianab

In NZ that would be called a "Bacon & Egg Pie", something that we used to have on the farm when doing hay, as it could be bought out to use working, and eaten in the field.

You can still buy a commercial single serve version in any gas station or corner store.

Veges and cheese are optional, but allowed, as is a lid on your pie.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Quote from: Grizzly on December 05, 2017, 10:54:38 PM
Quote from: drobertson on December 05, 2017, 07:38:44 PM

I want to know more about this. How much of what? That looks good and more my style.
Grizzly, I as usual did not really follow any certain recipe, but its simple enough to remember the main parts,
5 eggs
pre-prepared frozen pie crust
handful of broccoli
bout a half up of grated cheese
small piece of onion chopped
a splash of heavy cream
bout a third cup of milk
salt and pepper to taste
bake at 375 for 35 min
pretty easy and as Ian said, they are great left over cold, if any is left over,
Mercy while having a piece for breakfast I just realized I forgot, don't forget the bacon!!!

Thank You Sponsors!