iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickcrete foundation??? For a 20x24 timber frame

Started by Dflick, June 25, 2017, 06:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MbfVA

Dumb video. Especially the wobbling tower at the end. However, I didn't see them representing it as being for anything other than decks or similar minor stuff.
www.ordinary.com (really)

LAZERDAN

I agree.  I just never saw anything like these.
                                                                   Lazerdan

samandothers

Looks like a simple alternative to mixing! I think I'd limit the use to smaller structures and not mi casa!

Don P, new avatar!  Noticed the picture then the name!

carhartted

Just did something similar in Willow in the fall. Poured 9 10 inch sonotubes with 32 inch big foots. Took 2 pallets of quickcrete.
Bought a used tow behind mixer and moved the concrete with buckets. Also put rebar towers in the sonotubes.

Will be putting up a timberframe in the spring and summer.
Here's to making sawdust.

CJennings

Quote from: MbfVA on November 27, 2017, 03:01:24 AM
If you're going to put in a basement, how do you waterproof the rubble stone foundation?   Or is a basement out of the question in that case?  We've got a lot of stone, folks.

By the way, the old barn thing sounds a little like a precursor or "variation" on Superior Wall. Think about it and see if you agree.  After all, Sup W sits on a simple #57 stone foundation, by their spec.  No other footing required.

All the real old houses here have stone foundations and full basements (really built as cellars). Most of them were laid dry until they got to where they were exposed above ground. They stuffed mortar between the stones on the interior of the basement to help cut down on water and rodents coming in. A slab floor would really help too. But yes they will leak more water than a concrete foundation. This is where grading of the site and good drainage is key with these structures. Get the water running away from the building, use gutters to get rainwater away too. If you have a high water table where it's going to be you probably want to do something else.

I've lived in two houses with stone foundations. The first one was built on a hill and the cellar was bone dry in the heaviest downpours and wettest springs. The other was on a flat spot with no significant slope away from the house. Every time it rained water came in through the joints in the stones and there'd be a couple inches of water in the basement. The old boiler was set a foot off the floor when it was put in. It was an issue from day one in that house I'd guess.

mometal77

Quote from: MbfVA on December 05, 2017, 03:54:16 PM
Neighbor used that fiber in his cement for his shop and it cracked all over. I had seen a formula for 5 ibs for every yard used in cement which is around 15 dollars.  Seen a u tube where cement trucks with this in it back up and pour no rebar needed and seen stress test videos.  I paid off my college back when i was 18/19 worked as an iron worker built a bridge and was a welder going through school.  Most rebar would sit for weeks/months come in rusted.  Even one engineer almost threw out construction on a rebar tube already put together over rust. I spent 3 days with a wire brush just to make them happy.  I learned a lot on that job.  Some new technology is great.  When i came across a man retiring from Alcoa selling his welding equipment i jumped on an old 300 amp DC machine i can even do carbon arc now and love the thing.  
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!