iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

if i buy( Saw Mill ez board walk 40 is this the best mill at $8000 range?

Started by buildmyown, June 25, 2017, 05:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f350rd

Forgot to mention I sharpen and set my own blades. They seem to cut better after once used and then sharpened.
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

plantman

F350, so if you were sawing 3' oak logs how long could you cut before changing a blade ? Every hour ? Every day ?

f350rd

It depends if the wood is green or dried. Green I can cut 8 hrs if nothing is hit in wood. Dried change 3 - 4 hrs. I try to keep logs clean from dirt, this will kill a blade quicker than cutting dry wood or green. With new blades I run them for a couple hours then change them regardless of cut quality. new blades need to be broking in and stretched.
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

plantman

I've looked at a lot of mills and dollar for dollar the EZ Boardwalk looks great. The only thing is that I could typically get logs which are at least 3' or bigger and then I'd have to spend time cutting them down with a chainsaw with sounds like a pain in the "you know what" . Otherwise I could buy a Lucas mill but that cost $16k plus $1200 for the slabbing attachment, plus freight . That's a lot of beans if this turns out to be nothing more than a hobby.
Good thing about the swingblade mill is that it's a lot easier to sharpen and you're not moving and turning the log which would save considerable time. So even though it costs a lot, it probably would make more money in the long run.

f350rd

plantman, I just bought Granberg chainsaw mill 72" cut for big slabbing job on oak 48" - 50". With the right equipment and setup its not that bad mounting a winch for pulling chainsaw mill through log. usually big logs I get are slabbed for customer. My own is cut in dimensional wood and some slabs. I have one customer bring in 5 - 6 ' oak 8' long for all slabs but he said to hot to get it cut down. the swingers are great for dimensional lumber but sometimes I have to cut max width boards for custom jobs. I have one that has 25 to 30 inch flat sawn cuts 12 to 16 feet long
48" chainsaw mill

plantman

Just curious, who are the majority of your customers who want slab material ? I think the key to this as a business is to find a market for quantities of wood such as people building sheds or to use the wood for your own projects making items with high dollar value .

paul case

I think you are right.

I started off with a plan to build a house from the lumber I sawed from my own logs. In 2008 the economy did a nose dive and the logs I was selling went from $.60 bdft to $.18. I wouldnt sell them for that so I bought a mill and built a 2000 sqft house from them. I had a lot of people bringing me logs to saw for them along, and I enjoyed sawing so when I finished  the house I decided to try to find a way to sell my lumber for a profit. I made some ties and a lot of pallet deck boards that were 5/8x4x40''. Then I started getting some orders 3x4-10 from another small sawmill like mine that couldnt keep up with making enough lumber for pallet orders. The 3x4 are a finished size for a heavy shipping skid. They kept ordering more and more until I upgraded mills to and LT40hd and than another and now we have a 4yo mill and a older one.

I had to talk to a lot of people to get that put together but it sure has been a good way to go with my cants. I have a couple other different buyers of lumber now as well and still make lots of ties and cants.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!