iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

if i buy( Saw Mill ez board walk 40 is this the best mill at $8000 range?

Started by buildmyown, June 25, 2017, 05:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buildmyown

about the ez board walk 40.  #1 how much does this weigh? #2 what if they close there doors one day, and you need parts can you find them else where?# 3 is the log turning add on work good,and can handle big heavy logs or do i need to find a after marker log turner ? # 4 can you find after market rail for longer logs? they want to much money for a 10 ft add on? i know thats alot of questions ,but if you know let me know plz:) ::) oh is it worth getting the 28 hp honda over the 24 hp?
22 ton log splitter:)

derhntr

I am no help on this mill. I am sure folks will chime in soon. Never can have to much HP.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

buildmyown

paul case

I started out with one.
1. I think it weighs less than 2000#. I hauled mine home on a 1 ton flatbed. I bet on their trailer it would pull easier than a boat,
2 I dont think they use any parts that couldnt be sourced from surplus center.com or a local auto parts or hardware store. They have a very simple and effective design.
3 I turned some 30''x 16' logs with it. IMO it is very good.
4I imagine you could get someone to build an track extension fairly reasonable. I built one for mine.
5 more hp is better. My ez model 40 only had a20 hp honda and it would cut fine. Something to remember is that when sawing for lumber or the best grade you spend just as much time making narrow cuts as you do making the wide cuts.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

buildmyown

buildmyown

i will list what im thinking to buy for everyone to see so far im thinking.
the mill ez board walk 40 $7350
honda engine upgrade 24 to 28 hp $250
trailer pkg,and log turner its a hand winch $ 600 total $8200 plus shipping:(

Standard Features...

20 ft track made from 6" channel steel
    Leveling stands
    24HP Honda Electric start engine (28 hp upgrade available)
    19" diameter band wheels
    Heavy duty sealed bearings
    Cuts at an angle for easy operation
    4 quick-clamp dogs
    Blade lube system
    Cuts 40" dia by 16'6" long logs
    Spring assist lift on head
    One lever operates clutch, throttle, and blade lube
    Guard prevents blade from cutting into clamps
    Optional Wheels and axle easily removable for stationary use
    Track extensions available in 4', 6', 8' and 10' lengths.

i should add im looking for my own use ,and some part time milling for extra income not a full time thing.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

buildmyown

they want $800 for a 10 ft  thats way to much i will try to find someone that can prefab this!

dgdrls

Take at look at the LinnLumber sawmills or the Thomas built, they may be alternatives you like.

Members here have both,

D

buildmyown

tmarch

I have the model 40 and like it for what I do (cut for my own use).  As far as the parts, they are available in my location so no problem.  I thought about getting the extension, but you need some support equipment to handle the logs at the length it will cut without the extension and adding length will demand more or bigger support equipment, looking at my needs it didn't add up.  All in all any manual mill will require a lot of work and adding length will just make it more work.  So far I've been very satisfied with the mill.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

thecfarm

I have a Thomas. Few things I like about it,just press the throttle and saw,I can move my bunks to cut a piece of stove wood. I have not leveled my mill for years. I think the board walk is a good mill too. Just too far for me to go look at it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

Maybe a dumb question, but if a person gets the extension, does it include extra log dogs?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

buildmyown

buildmyown

to tmarch i was thinking of getting a bobcat to drag the logs from the woods,and lift the logs on the mill,and lumber,to pallets,and stack. with forks on the bobcat.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

woodworker9

Quote from: buildmyown on June 27, 2017, 10:27:05 PM
to tmarch i was thinking of getting a bobcat to drag the logs from the woods,and lift the logs on the mill,and lumber,to pallets,and stack. with forks on the bobcat.

I know a lot of folks here don't like skidloaders, but I've been a daily operator for 26 years and counting, and I love the versatility of mine.  I can make that machine stand up on 2 wheels and dance.  I use mine with forks to move logs and slabs around, as well as loading big logs onto the mill, and it does a great job. 

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a bobcat with forks, provided you size your skidloader purchase to handle the weight of the logs you plan on moving.  My New Holland is rated to "lift" 2500 lbs., but I have a weight kit on it, and it easily moves 3500 lb. machines with forks.  I think it would handle a 4000 lb. log without a problem, provided I don't try to lift it 10' in the air.  A foot off the ground is all I need.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

That guy would be toast at my place.

I worry about the motors running out of oil when tipped so extremely. He looks like some kinda wannabe compared to the black sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYh3ciokvV0

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

buildmyown

yes sir woodworker9 i called about a new tractor that can lift 2500 lbs a new kubota they want almost $ 40,000 joke. thats about what i want to spend on my house build:)

ladylake

Quote from: woodworker9 on June 28, 2017, 09:41:46 AM
Quote from: buildmyown on June 27, 2017, 10:27:05 PM

I know a lot of folks here don't like skidloaders, but I've been a daily operator for 26 years and counting, and I love the versatility of mine.  I can make that machine stand up on 2 wheels and dance.  I use mine with forks to move logs and slabs around, as well as loading big logs onto the mill, and it does a great job. 

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a bobcat with forks, provided you size your skidloader purchase to handle the weight of the logs you plan on moving.  My New Holland is rated to "lift" 2500 lbs., but I have a weight kit on it, and it easily moves 3500 lb. machines with forks.  I think it would handle a 4000 lb. log without a problem, provided I don't try to lift it 10' in the air.  A foot off the ground is all I need.

About the only downside to a skid loader is they tear up the log yard, no machine can get around better.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodworker9

Quote from: buildmyown on June 28, 2017, 05:15:14 PM
yes sir woodworker9 i called about a new tractor that can lift 2500 lbs a new kubota they want almost $ 40,000 thats about what i want to spend on my house build:)

Good gear is never cheap.  Used ones are far less.  Pretty good machines around here that aren't beat to crap or slapped out for around $10K.  You can do better, but you might end up with a mechanical nightmare.  I don't drink or smoke, so I save my money and spend it on quality tools, because I earn my living with them. 

If you're mechanically inclined, plenty of worn out machines waiting on a 2nd chance......
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Bruno of NH

Mahindra makes a heavy duty tractor that has lots of lift with the loaders
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Hilltop366

My brother has a old case skid steer, I find the biggest down side is you can't load or move something with a chain by yourself.

The only time it is safe or possible to get out of the skid steer is when the bucket is on the ground which makes it impossible to hook and unhook a chain.

I will add that generally a tractor will lift a lot more with the rear 3 point hitch than a front loader, or just having a set of forks on the rear of a 2 wd tractor will be a lot less costly.

buildmyown

Thank You Sponsors!