iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with a broken Illinois: Dissolve the Land of Lincoln

Started by submarinesailor, June 25, 2017, 11:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

Over on a tread in the Sawmills and Milling, Brad_bb made the comment about where the suite about mislabeling 2X4 was filed, "You'll notice that they filed the suits in Northern Illinois, not Wisconsin."

His comment reminded me of something I noticed the other day about Illinois.  Some people are saying that the state is so broken it can't be fixed, so dissolve it into the nearby states.  Check out this article in the Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-dissolving-illinois-kass-met-20170620-column.html.

My only comment is, "Who would want to take Chicago??"

Bruce

trapper

In my opinion only Kentucky and Iowa would benefit.  Illinois is a fine state east of hy 39.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

low_48

Quote from: trapper on June 25, 2017, 04:50:17 PM
In my opinion only Kentucky and Iowa would benefit.  Illinois is a fine state east of hy 39.

East of I-39? I prefer west of I-39. I've been cycling along the Great River Road on the east side of the Mississippi River, beautiful country, quiet little towns! We travel I-39 a lot to see our adult children in Crystal Lake, and I-80 to I-55 to our son in North Chicago. The closer we get to Rockford, the semi traffic picks up and those guys have very little courtesy these days. So get a sour taste up there, and grinding through I-90 traffic east of OHare to get to our son. I do love riding the Lake Michigan bike trails though, but always tickled to leave. If they don't pass a budget by the weekend, we go to junk status on the loans. It's so bad here, the lottery is even in a mess! They are going to stop selling Powerball after Thursday! Now that's bad!

timberlinetree

So sad! Glad the state we have our farm in hads 2 billion surplus. What happened over the past 8yrs to cause this? Ct. which is one of the riches state's is going bankrupt to! Maybe it had to do with certain political parties running their states. That seems to be the trend.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

trapper

low_48 Thanks for catching my mistake.  West of 39 is a fine state.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Crusarius

This will work out well. Dissolve illinois and make new york city its own state. won't have to change the flag that way :)

wesdor

Under the Tribune plan the area of Western Illinois where I live would become part of Iowa. That would have some of excellent benefits from my point of view.

In the 2018 election I think only 1 question needs to be asked of incumbents- did you vote for Michael Madigan as Speaker of the House?  If the answer is yes, then you should vote for their opponent.

I continue to be amazed with how many people continue to vote for the same politicians/ party that has created this mess but expect the situation to improve

sawguy21

Quote from: wesdor on June 28, 2017, 11:39:42 AM
I continue to be amazed with how many people continue to vote for the same politicians/ party that has created this mess but expect the situation to improve
That's one definition of insanity
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

low_48

Quote from: wesdor on June 28, 2017, 11:39:42 AM
Under the Tribune plan the area of Western Illinois where I live would become part of Iowa. That would have some of excellent benefits from my point of view.

In the 2018 election I think only 1 question needs to be asked of incumbents- did you vote for Michael Madigan as Speaker of the House?  If the answer is yes, then you should vote for their opponent.

We're going to need a third party then. Both parties are doing no good on this deal!

coxy

Quote from: Crusarius on June 28, 2017, 10:32:30 AM
This will work out well. Dissolve illinois and make new york city its own state. won't have to change the flag that way :)
you forgot Albany  :)

Crusarius

Gary_C

America's Pension Bomb: Illinois Is Just the Start

As of the 2015 fiscal year, Illinois had promised its employees $199 billion in retirement benefits. Right now, it's $119.1 billion short. 

What state would want any part of that $119.1 billion shortfall?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

low_48

Quote from: Gary_C on July 01, 2017, 05:08:51 AM
America's Pension Bomb: Illinois Is Just the Start

As of the 2015 fiscal year, Illinois had promised its employees $199 billion in retirement benefits. Right now, it's $119.1 billion short.

What state would want any part of that $119.1 billion shortfall?

I am by no means a financial guy, barely figured out how to file for Social Security, but aren't a lot of these pension woes because the politicians "borrowed" or underfunded the pensions for decades? I thought most of the people paid into the account all their lives. I know my wife did as an AFSCME employee for the City of Peoria. Teachers are especially hit hard by this since they paid in knowing they could not collect Social Security. Now it's time for the state to meet that promise they made for the entire working lives of these people, and it's a crisis they don't have the money. Seems to me it was a crisis was the lawmakers decided to raid the fund or underfund it. Right? Like that never happened before!

coxy

why cant they get ss  ???  was it part of a contract deal

low_48

Quote from: coxy on July 02, 2017, 12:56:00 PM

Under Illinois law, teachers in Illinois contribute to the Illinois Teachers Retirement System (TRS), and their earnings from teaching are not subject to Social Security taxation. ... The teacher receives a pension from the TRS, and does not receive Social Security benefits.

coxy

whitepine2

Quote from: low_48 on July 02, 2017, 03:37:37 PM
Quote from: coxy on July 02, 2017, 12:56:00 PM

Under Illinois law, teachers in Illinois contribute to the Illinois Teachers Retirement System (TRS), and their earnings from teaching are not subject to Social Security taxation. ... The teacher receives a pension from the TRS, and does not receive Social Security benefits.
Same here in Ma. can only get a small amount of SS I got
$33.00 a month even as I paid in my 40 quarters but others collect
without paying in a dime,go figure. 

coxy

I'm having trouble believing that there is going  to be any ss when its time for me to get it if the free hand me outs don't stop real soon

TKehl

Coxy, you are much more optimistic than I am.  My wife and I are not taking it into account for our planning.

I did like the frankness of Bernake's quote when asked by congress about the future of SS.  Basically it was, "we can guarantee the amount, but we can't guarantee the purchasing power."  IE, you'll get your money, but it may not buy a loaf of bread.   :-\ 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ron Wenrich

SS doesn't have the same problems that pension funds do.  Pension funds are vested in other securities like stocks and bonds.  The fallacy that many government pensions is that they were created back when the stock market was going bonkers.  They upped the payout and put it into law all on those lofty projections.  A lot of politicians were re-elected on those projections.  But, the stock market didn't cooperate.  The crash and a rush of retirees added to their problems.  In addition, politicians haven't funded it and in some cases have taken funds to balance their budgets.

SS isn't vested in stocks.  The excess has been invested in US bonds.  It grows at a standard rate.  The Feds can adjust how much people pay in by raising the income withdrawal or how much employers pay.  They are also adjusting the retirement age.  But, in the end, the Feds can do something that pension funds can't.  They can print money.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

coxy

Quote from: TKehl on July 03, 2017, 07:40:43 PM
Coxy, you are much more optimistic than I am.  My wife and I are not taking it into account for our planning.

I did like the frankness of Bernake's quote when asked by congress about the future of SS.  Basically it was, "we can guarantee the amount, but we can't guarantee the purchasing power."  IE, you'll get your money, but it may not buy a loaf of bread.   :-\
believe me I'm not counting on it 

low_48

Quote from: coxy on July 03, 2017, 06:58:23 PM
I'm having trouble believing that there is going  to be any ss when its time for me to get it if the free hand me outs don't stop real soon

What free handouts change social security? Aren't all payouts based on what you paid?

My 86 year old Mother only gets $725 a month based on a death benefit of my Dad. Now that is hard to live on! Especially since she now pays $110/day for assisted living care.

coxy

there is thousands of people getting ss that has never worked a day in there life tell me how they are getting it and its not coming from a spouse that passed away

Ron Wenrich

My daughter is special needs and over the age of 18.  She got a check from SS in the form of SSI.  It was a monthly stipend, and it really wasn't that great.  As a condition, she could not have more than $2,000 to her name.  We had to send in monthly paycheck information and they checked her bank account.  For every $2 she earned, SSI was reduced by $1.  It wasn't a great deal of money.  A lot less than spouse's are getting.  But, there was no earnings that she had that figured into it.  SSI is supposed to pay for food and rent. 

After I retried, she was put on SSDI.  It was substantially more, as it was figured against my earnings.  There are no restrictions on how much money she has and there is no reporting of earnings.  Its still not poverty level earnings.  However, if she makes more than $16k per year for 2 years, she loses the SSDI. 

I don't think she pays any income tax on her SSDI.  She isn't in that kind of tax bracket.  Due to her condition, she gets some other governmental perks, like Medicaid and some personal assistance help.  She works part time as kitchen help.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WV Sawmiller

My understanding was Social Security was designed to supplement one's retirement income to help keep people out of poverty in retirement and it was never intended to be the only source of retirement income.

Unfortunately too many people now-a-days don't work in a company or business that provides a retirement income. Even when the company offers a 401K too many people do not contribute much to it nor do they set up an IRA or other personal income for retirement. The problem is all of us perceive we need everything we earn as we earn it for daily expenses and we don't  (or can't) suck it up enough to put more away for our future.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!